[Warning: mid-fi!] Something like Koss A-250's but with bass? HALP!

ph0rk

I've been loving my dt-250's at the office (and growing to despise the dt-990's treble. It's all hunky-dory until you get a bad recording. yikes), and while moving some boxes around at home I found my old Koss A-250 headphones from circa 2000. The headband clip for the right phone is finicky and the leatherette cups are starting to peel, but they really do have a sweet midrange (if not as warm as I prefer, see the beyer dt-250's). Their bass sort of sucks imho though - I have to boost them quite a bit to get a natural sounding bass quantity. A quick search or two reveals they were a FOTM a while back on HF, but I was too busy futzing with Stata to read about headphones at the time.

so, I have the A-250's with boosted bass, or the dt990's with reduced treble - either way I'm futzing with eq which I suppose is an alternative, but I'd perfer to leave it flat so I stop farking around with it.

I'm still eagerly awaiting the k601's, which -may- sound like what I'm looking for, but in the event they aren't, can anyone recommend an alternative mid-fi open phone? Home rig is Mac->0404->GLite, and more than $200 is not really feasible (okay, $250). I 'spose I could just pick up a 250 ohm DT-250 for home use, but that seems, well, pedestrian given I have an 80 ohm pair already :)

I seem to have a low tolerance for boosted treble - am I destined for some Sennheisers?

My local friends are going to start calling me a headphone pimp if I unload anymore of my cast-offs on them...

I'm drunk atm so this probably doesn't count, but I got my hands on the k601's today, and so far they seem to fit the bill - a more refined (unless it's the whiskey) and open dt-250. No trebly spikeyness of the k701.

Me rikey rots.

Can still hear the goddamn dehumidifier when it kicks on, but that's budget living in Mont-Chapelle. Have to wait for the honeymoon to be over, but I may be finished acquiring for a bit. Huzzah! :dance:

The K-601s have bass?

When did that happen? :doghuh:

They have more than the a-250 and like most open cans can't really compete with closed headphones for lowish volume deep bass, and I think that's unavoidable (the dt-990's were somewhat unexiting for the deep stuff, 30-50hz or so). Well, more midbass than the Koss headphones, anyway.

They lack the most on low bass in electronic music. Sound not unlike a k701 voiced dark. More red-brown than blueish-white. Go well with acidic coffee. The flat headband is kind of annoying if you shave your head, though.

I'm drunk atm so this probably doesn't count, but I got my hands on the k601's today, and so far they seem to fit the bill - a more refined (unless it's the whiskey) and open dt-250. No trebly spikeyness of the k701.

Me rikey rots.

Nice you like your AKGs, but do you like them when sober? I've heard booze is a great audio tweak.

wow great post i don't mean to thread-jack but i listen to rox music and i want looking for $100 headphones that sound great and I plug it into my soundcard someone told me about some L3000 headphones are they $100???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? i want something that sounds great like a bose but they can't be more than $100 as spending more than $100 on headphones are for idiots

I wants to posts on headfi but its not working and I luvs my music and wants to hear it better, someone plz helps me

This actually has a serious answer: Sony MDR-7506/-V6.

I solved the A250's bass problems by using an old very soupy sounding tube amp with overblown bass (MG Head OTL Mk 1, stock tubes). It balances out my very bright pair of K340's and it does the same thing on the A250.

Now, I don't like the A250, I think the mids are unnatural and the highs pierce your ears, but the bass on this combo is terrific. It's easily the A250's strongest suit, but you do need an appropriate system to bring it out.

This actually has a serious answer: Sony MDR-7506/-V6.

That's the one headphone I absolutely hate. It's one of the worst sounding headphones I've ever heard in my life. I like bright headphones (Beyer DT660, AKG K271) but that's got a spike that'll melt your ears off.

As grawk said, I was being an asshat with my post and didn't actually expect a suggestion as I'm not really in the market for $100 headphones.

Nice you like your AKGs, but do you like them when sober? I've heard booze is a great audio tweak.

So far yes, enough to swap the dt990's for them, anyway.

There aren't any convenient, good retailers with sane return policies nearby that carry the HD600/650's, so I'm forced to try a pair from guitar center. I hate that place.