postjack

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

gradocartandph1001bp5.jpg

gradocartandph1008wz0.jpg

gradocartandph1010ij7.jpg

Grado Platinum Statement Cartridge and Grado PH-1 Phono Stage. :)

I'm proud of myself for setting up the cartridge well. I used a Technics Baerwald Arc Protractor I downloaded and printed, along with the HiFi News Test LP. Grados are known for being poorer trackers, but the Platinum handled the first three anti-skate tracks on the Test LP with aplomb (it failed the fourth "torture test" band miserably, but so do most carts). Still not as solid a tracker as my ProS30 or AT440MLa, but we'll see what some more tweaking can accomplish.

Upon playing the correctly aligned and setup cart for the first time, immediately I realized this is what vinylphiles call the Grado "house sound", primarily characterized by the famous bump in the midrange that we all know (and love, we all love...) from the RS-1. The bass doesn't reach all that low (again, like the RS-1), certainly not as low as my ProS30, but it is true, and still sufficient (vinyl, by its nature, as the kick ass bass). I don't think the cart is as bright as my ProS30, but the treble is light and quite lovely. Overall sonically I find it detailed, pleasing to the ear, with a superb midrange, and drastically different from my previous experiences with cartridges. I look forward to spending some more time listening as it settles into my system.

As far as the phono stage, supposedly the PH-1 is optimized for use with the LO Statement series of Grado cartridges. So I guess it is doing is RIAA curve correction thing to perfection. ;D I can't really compare it to my Bellari, since the Bellari is unsuitable for LO carts.

As far as the phono stage, supposedly the PH-1 is optimized for use with the LO Statement series of Grado cartridges. So I guess it is doing is RIAA curve correction thing to perfection. ;D I can't really compare it to my Bellari, since the Bellari is unsuitable for LO carts.

Quick update: the PH-1 exhibits a fairly significant amount of hiss when in high gain. :-\ The hiss is extremely noticeable when no music is playing, and even a bit when music is playing. It is definitely the phono stage, as it is present even when the TT is off. Apparently it is working as intended, as others have experienced similar hiss on VA.

I'm really enjoying the sound though. We'll see.

I'm with Jay, I thought that MM and MC carts had different gain requirements, hence you not usually finding phono stages that can work with both. And it's not all that surprising that the higher gain setting has a higher noise floor, that's the nature of the beast.

Well I'm with Jack, who believe it or not did do a smidgen of research before dropping hundreds of dollars on new gear. ;)

There are two versions of every Grado wood bodied cart: the Reference, which is high output, and the Statement, which is low output. Both are MM designs, with the exception of the Statement Statement, which I think is MI? Here is the breakdown:

Platinum Reference

Platinum Statement

Sonata Reference

Sonata Statement

Master Reference

Master Statement

Reference Reference

Reference Statement

Statement Statement

The PH-1 was customed designed to work with all Grado carts regardless of output. In H gain, the PH-1 is intended to work well with the LO Statement series, while in L gain, the PH-1 is intended to work with the HO Reference series. Which is why I expressed surprise that there is such a large amount of hiss for a phono stage custom designed to work with its corresponding cartridges.

So thanks to both of you for your (perhaps unintentional) condescension, and I'll be sure to come here if I ever do decide to blindly purchase analog gears without any thought as to whether or not they will complement each other. :)

And I say all the above as gently as possible to my friends nato and roxy doxy. Happy Thanksgiving! O0

Yeah, score one for me! Who's your daddy? O0

No, score zero for you. The Platinum Statement is a LO cart, as I painfully explained in my post directly above your confusing celebration. This means that when used with a lo gain phono, the music is way too quiet. So when the PH-1 is in L gain, the music is way too quiet.

When I first bought a Grado PH-1 back in the day, I was using a Grado Sonata on a Rega RB600 and the directions told me to use my MM on the low setting, but it did not give me enough output either.

I called Music Direct and they told me to use the high setting which yielded the same results as PJ.

I sold them both and got an Acoustic Signature Tango pre and a Benz Ace H.

No, score zero for you. The Platinum Statement is a LO cart, as I painfully explained in my post directly above your confusing celebration. This means that when used with a lo gain phono, the music is way too quiet. So when the PH-1 is in L gain, the music is way too quiet.

Ah clearly the PH-1 in lo gain with lo cart doesn't fulfill the one step requirements: off or loud enough to blow fool heads ;D

When I first bought a Grado PH-1 back in the day, I was using a Grado Sonata on a Rega RB600 and the directions told me to use my MM on the low setting, but it did not give me enough output either.

I called Music Direct and they told me to use the high setting which yielded the same results as PJ.

I sold them both and got an Acoustic Signature Tango pre and a Benz Ace H.

Sounds about right. I may swap the Statement for a Reference and just run the phono stage on low gain. This should still give me the Grado sound without the hiss.