New Members - How did you discover Head-Case?

Grand Enigma

Unbelievable that people continued to shill for them and DACs were supposed to ship in September ::)

I feel bad for my part in the whole thing. No matter what I did or how I handled it though someone's going to have a problem with it. I've had people ask why I didn't post about the problems I was having with Ken earlier and then I've had others lay at least part of the blame for the whole situation on me for posting anything at all.

Word of mouth.

I like it here more than head-fi so far, though I really don't know how far to take the whole "being honest" thing. If I give everyone exactly the earful and tongue-lashing that I think they should have, I'll come off as the biggest asshat ever. Even if I will be right let's conservatively say, 1/2 of the time. Every single time I see another "do you think I'll like [...]" or "I can't decide, make up my mind for me!" type post, I just want to yell out: "Grow a fucking pair and make up your own fucking mind, I'm not here to make you feel better about your own petty insecurities."

But, so far I've kept quiet about it on head-fi (which is why I'm not banned yet) and I think I'll keep quiet about it here. So far, there hasn't been any need to, either.

Sorry for the rant folks, but this is therapy. I can do it here, or in front of a shrink for $150 an hour. This is cheaper, and keeps me sane longer, though arguably it may be too late for that.

I found this forum last year after a Google search about an amp discussed at Head-Fi. It was funny to find lot of familiar names over here. A sort of uncensored Head-Fi, that's a very good idea. I've thought about starting my own BS-free audio forum many times, but i'm kinda lazy bastard and, like Jude, i don't know shit about computers, so if someone else can do that...Great.

Good luck!

Initially was on headwize in the late 90's. Moved to head-fi in the early 2000. Got out of headphones and amplifiers when I discovered how little difference there was between amped and unamped output on an oscilloscope. Posted on head-fi and was surprised at the strong and extremely defensive reaction I got at suggesting that amplifiers do not make a tremendous difference in the sound.

Anyways, I love my amps but as a guy who has graduate degrees in CS/CoE and EE integrated circuit design, science tells me those differences I'm hearing are more psychological than real. Over at that other forum, I was sick and tired of reading all this stuff from people reiterating the "company-line" and crap like "wow, those are great" and then a bazillion people going off to buy the same POS and restating the same review. Granted there are a lot of great products out there, but what about people who talk about the not-so-great products? It's fine to disagree. . . but damn over at head-fi, the slightest deviation from the company-line would cause a rash of unprovoked insults not related to the topic at hand.

Found out about head-case via a google about head-fi and some other negative terms about said forum. I also see a lot of familiar and respected screen names here from the early days of head-fi.

Oh well, I hope its better here.

Thanks.

Initially was on headwize in the late 90's. Moved to head-fi in the early 2000. Got out of headphones and amplifiers when I discovered how little difference there was between amped and unamped output on an oscilloscope. Posted on head-fi and was surprised at the strong and extremely defensive reaction I got at suggesting that amplifiers do not make a tremendous difference in the sound.

Questions. Can you describe your testing in some detail? What were you measuring (eg. frequency response, THD, etc.), how were you doing the measurements (eg. test signals used, level of the signals, dummy or actual loads) equipment details, and all that other stuff.

Questions. Can you describe your testing in some detail? What were you measuring (eg. frequency response, THD, etc.), how were you doing the measurements (eg. test signals used, level of the signals, dummy or actual loads) equipment details, and all that other stuff.

He set the oscilloscope on top of the amp, and turned it on. Then he moved it off the amp, and turned it on again.

suggesting that amplifiers do not make a tremendous difference in the sound.
It really depends on how dificult a load you are trying to drive. I'm pretty much with you as long as the needs of the driver are being met and you're not using a shit design or power supply. The worse the amp, the more 'difference' in the sound. When you get into the high end stuff it just comes down to what it can drive and what it cant IMO.
I was sick and tired of reading all this stuff from people reiterating the "company-line" and crap like "wow, those are great" and then a bazillion people going off to buy the same POS and restating the same review. Granted there are a lot of great products out there, but what about people who talk about the not-so-great products? It's fine to disagree. . . but damn over at head-fi, the slightest deviation from the company-line would cause a rash of unprovoked insults not related to the topic at hand.
I think you'll find good company here. :)
I also see a lot of familiar and respected screen names here from the early days of head-fi.
Yeah, there are one or two. >:D

It's fine to disagree. . . but damn over at head-fi, the slightest deviation from the company-line would cause a rash of unprovoked insults not related to the topic at hand.

That's not been my experience.

The angriest, most insulting posters tend to be skeptics such are ourselves actually... you know, the hydrogenaudio types.

That's not been my experience.

The angriest, most insulting posters tend to be skeptics such are ourselves actually... you know, the hydrogenaudio types.

Either camp can get really bad. I don't understand why people can't be civil there. I mean, here we swear and enjoy a good insult or two, but it is all in good fun rather than malicious.

Word of mouth of course. I was skeptical before as well. Like who the fuck are these people... man fuck opinionated people. And what the hell is their problem. Sure they don't kiss various manufacturers' asses but they seem to like that Kevin Gilmore guy more than is healthy.

Then it was more like.. hrm but there sure are a lot of good threads that seem more applicable to my current headphone situation than at head-fi where besides the "Oh I have way too much money to spend help me make a rig threads," the really good meet impressions threads and the marketplace of course... But I sure wish they would post more.

Then I realized... hrm opinionated.. well that's me as well. And being a person who believes design/execution/quality of parts does matter to sound... well how can you not eventually end up placing Kevin Gilmore on a certain pedestal of faith. Even if he is batshit crazy and doesn't necessarily agree with me 100 percent of the time.

Now with head-fi down the interesting threads are getting more and more sparse amongst the mehly interesting threads. And where's the sweet drama. It's hard to drama about something that is down. Ohwell.

Now I look forward to head-fi coming back up or... long live postjack forum.