lavry black

tiberian

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I assume one's unwired and one's prewired. ;)

meaning... one has wires inside connecting each end of the plug to each other, while the other one the two ends are unconnected and you have to do that yourself. unwired might be useful if you want to swap pin assignments or something and don't want to unsolder wires that are prewired in the wrong place.

I assume one's unwired and one's prewired. ;)

meaning... one has wires inside connecting each end of the plug to each other, while the other one the two ends are unconnected and you have to do that yourself. unwired might be useful if you want to swap pin assignments or something and don't want to unsolder wires that are prewired in the wrong place.

hummm, this quite makes sense,

Last (hopefully) retermination question (and sorry for threadjacking).

I know a couple of you mentioned connecting directly to the DA10 balanced output is a little different than standard setups and to use a female-female adapter. Every balanced amp I've seen (including the new HeadAmp GS-X would go the other way (way adapters are suggested), but I wanted to ask except for direct out of DACs (DA10, DAC1, etc.) are there any other examples where an XLR female on the headphone cable would actually make sense? Is there some debate in the manufacturing world, or is it overwhelming (for balance world anyway) XLR male (for headphone cable)?

Thanks.

Well the industry standard for XLR outs is male jacks, which is why when connecting to the xlr outs on a dac or whatever you need female xlr connectors. The only thing that uses female xlr jacks for output is balanced headphone amps. For everything else female xlr jacks are inputs.

HeadRoom made the first commercially available balanced headphone amp (or so they say). they for some reason decided to go with dual 3-pin female XLR outputs, which has now become the de facto standard of sorts.

yea thats a fucking bullshit standard. no offense to tyll but maybe headroom just doesn't want people to realize that when properly configured some DACs and preamps can directly drive headphones without the need of a $$$$ balanced headroom amp.

Interestingly when I was on the phone with Zu today and asked if they made adapters, he responded to pick up a Neutrik coupler and when prompted with the question "will it have a detrimental effect on the Mobius sound" responded "no".

Also of note, as opposed to Stefan AudioArts up to 2 1/2 month turn around, Zus retermination is a two days wait. 8)

Interestingly when I was on the phone with Zu today and asked if they made adapters, he responded to pick up a Neutrik coupler and when prompted with the question "will it have a detrimental effect on the Mobius sound" responded "no".

Also of note, as opposed to Stefan AudioArts up to 2 1/2 month turn around, Zus retermination is a two days wait. 8)

That sounds better and much more reasonable... sounds like Stefan might be a side job and Zu is obviously a full time company.

the single ended cardas sennheiser cable has a rhodium plating, interestingly, the one i tried in chicago sounded very close to my furutech cardas (with rhodium plating), in comparsion the neutrik cardas sounded a bit bloated and less clean.

If this was my cardas your reffering to, it was burned in I believe five hours on a cable cooker. The cable cooker puts higher voltages than what is on them in the system, this is the same with interconnects but not power cables an speaker cables. I only use the cooker towards the end of burn-in and dose improve the performance.

Very nice meet! A lot of room, great view and FUN relaxed atmosphere.

I'll post some close up pictures that I took of the innards of the Lavry tonight. The balanced outs are not discrete... they use OPA275's. It is also not balanced straight from the DAC, as the volume control is definately not balanced and affects the XLR outs.

That said, they sound amazing, so regardless of all our audiophile notions Dan Lavry has worked some magic here. ;D

I'll post some close up pictures that I took of the innards of the Lavry tonight. The balanced outs are not discrete... they use OPA275's. It is also not balanced straight from the DAC, as the volume control is definately not balanced and affects the XLR outs.

That said, they sound amazing, so regardless of all our audiophile notions Dan Lavry has worked some magic here. ;D

i heard that the op amps are not in the signal path, well, i am not an EE, i don't know.