New Mapletree HD200

humanflyz

What are magic eye tubes? Are those the three tubes in the front?

They're like the tube equivalent of a VU meter, at least the type that I'm familiar with are. I didn't both to look up the specific type that this amp uses but odds are that they don't do anything other than complicate the build (two more heaters to wire) and are only there for aesthetic reasons. [edit]According to the info presented so far they look something like this:

em80-2.jpg

and act something like this:

em80-an1.gif

The one in my Dared knockoff is similar and is annoying as hell with the lights off, it's fracken bright as hell.

Leon_Theremin_Playing_Theremin.jpg

A theremin! :kitty: I actually had one in my apartment in NYC for awhile! I think my ex was using it, or thinking of using it (I don't remember) on an album he was working on, and a friend of ours had been working on a documentary about it, had just gotten back from Russia where he'd been following an elderly crazy lady, Clara Somebody, who was the last great (or maybe only great) theremin player, around. I think Robert Moog had lent it to him, and somehow we had it. The documentary turned out pretty cool, now that I remember. That instrument, though, is damn near impossible to learn.

Vicki -- Clara Rockmore?!?!? Yeah, she was the greatest. Dang thing is well nigh impossible to hold a steady note on. I had a friend who went to Robert Moog's Theremin Workshop weeklong thing.

Am I the only one who thinks magic eye tubes are cool? ???
Jury's still out with me -- I like novelty (want to get myself a Nixie clock at some point), haven't had to live with it, don't know if I will tire of it (I tire of sugar and salt, so I tire rather easily).

Don't knock the doc. The original HD+ was/is a very nice headamp whose sonics shine only with 5751 3MBPs from the likes of RCA, Raytheon and Sylvania ($70-$120 a tube). Mine drives both my old 100 Ohm HD-595s and my AKG K-701s, so it was no slouch on power even with a 5751 driver.

I am sure this will be a nice-sounding unit, green eyes and all!

Guest sacd lover

they generally aren't as good (to my ears), but they are cheaper, and still pretty nice. at least the ones i heard at Earl's... i can't remember what he had (i think one stock and one custom, unless my memory is deceiving me).

The custom amp I had built was the basis for the HD200. He was running the 12b4a's way to easy. He is now getting multiple times the power the Ear+ developes.

Guest sacd lover

Don't knock the doc. The original HD+ was/is a very nice headamp whose sonics shine only with 5751 3MBPs from the likes of RCA, Raytheon and Sylvania ($70-$120 a tube). Mine drives both my old 100 Ohm HD-595s and my AKG K-701s, so it was no slouch on power even with a 5751 driver.

I am sure this will be a nice-sounding unit, green eyes and all!

The best sounding input tube I tried in the Ear+ was the Tung Sol 12AZ7 @ $6 each. I sold the amp to a guy on head-fi and he liked the 12AZ7 better than the TM BP RCA included in the sale. There are so many good sounding and inexpensive tubes out there that stomp the over-hyped 12AX7/5751/ 6922 etc... I cringe when I see people drop a fortune on them. :(