Amping Shure SE530

gundam91

I'm new here. Just bought a Shure SE530 this week on impulse. Actually I was a little tired of the Etys during my last business trip. They are just a tad too bright and lean for my taste. Anyways, I was trying to plug the SE530 to my various amps at home last night and got a really loud buzz coming out of both sides when the volume was set at 0. Today, I tried it with my portable Headroom Airhead and samething happened again. I plugged the SE530 directly into my iAudio X5 and they sounded great.

I checked Shure's website and in the FAQ section it says that it is not necessary, but OK to, plug these into a headphone amp. I did some search here, and others have use headphone amp as well without any issue. Anyone else has similar experience with these?

I can't say I've ever experienced buzzing when amping my E500s (virtually identical to the SE530). They are very efficient drivers though so if there's any noise in the line then you will hear it. I have a Xiang Sheng tube preamp which appears to have a very low noise floor with most headphones, but when used with the E500s there's a clear audible hum. When connected directly to a source too and with the volume right down some sound very noisy through these headphones. The only amp I have that has a completely silent noise floor with these IEMs is my Xin Supermacro IV.

I do think an amp improves the E500s compared to the internal headphone amp of most sources I've tried, but it seems to be a "last 5%" kind of improvement. It's probably not worth spending the money unless your source's amp is really bad but has a clean line out, or these are your only headphones. With a good amp you get a bit more body to the midrange, some better bass impact, slightly improved extension and a bit more resolution. My E500s sound best driven by tube amps but it's too easy to raise the volume too high with such an amp and with a tube amp the rig isn't portable anyway making IEMs a little redundant.

My E500 (same earphone as the SE530) hiss/make noise with many players and amps. If your amp has a low gain option or an option to add impedance (like some of the Xin amps), these can reduce or eliminate hiss. Another thing to try is an inline device to add impedance between your earphones and the player/amp. I think there is something like that for the lower impedance Etymotic earphones.

I pick up noise on my sensa's and e500's out of any amp but the Tomahawk..

(puts flame suit on)

I'll wear my flame suit, too.

I didn't experience any hissing with the SE530s and a Hornet on low gain. They also sounded better than when unamped, but only if you were listening closely.

I'm not sure how most people listen when going portable, but I know I'm not listening critically in those rare times, and often am only half paying attention to the music. I'm doing something else and music is secondary to it. I suppose if I were still a student, going to the library etc. that would be different, but for my needs, I find my ER4Ps straight out of a nano is usually just fine. Strange I own four portable amps and just ordered another. What's wrong with me... ???

It's seriously pointless amping the E500 for sound quality gains unless forced to do so because you're using a line-out. The increase in bulk + low performance/price ratio = highly undesirable. My 2 cents (pennies).

I think that's totally subjective, I'd agree, I wouldn't add an amp for portable (walking around) but the E500's are my main headphone and they do get significantly better when used with high quality associated equipment. Adding a decent source and/or decent amp can have very beneficial effects on the E500's IMO of course.

Sure. If I were using the E500 for home use, then it would make more sense to use better sources and amplifiers. I just don't get how people can lug around an iMod sheathed in a thick protective case with portable Vcap dock and an amp and call that portable.

I think what some consider portable is what they take to work with them, it's not so much about the travel time but about what they use in the work rig. Most work environments aren't conducive to leaving your gear there all the time therefore it must be transported back and forth, hence portable.