Why does the mainstream media even bother?

humanflyz

my mileage -does- vary, which is why I think you're full of it.

I guess it just depends what stage of life you are in (college?) When I was in HS/college music and my rig was right up at the top of priorities. Going on fifty, the majority of my friends/acquaintances are not audiophiles and music doesn't rate so highly on a social level. I understand how they feel when I talk about going to a club/venue vs. their talking about the golf course. Anyway, if I'm full of it, so be it. I can shoulder that burden 8)

I guess it just depends what stage of life you are in (college?)

More like the part that makes the college experience possible for the undergrads.

I got the impression from your post (particularly the part bolded) that you were arguing that listening to music in the absence of any other activity was the -only- way to enjoy it, and I thought that position was bunk. You can do that every once and awhile and listen to music as soundtrack the rest of the time.

Someone that would avoid music unless they could listen to it free from distractions would be a sad panda.

Sociology, more specifically (quantitative) sociology of culture and social theory. I'm going to contribute to society!

My statement was directed by the MP3 player as fashion accessory crowd.

Ah. I can understand that. I am generally more snobby about interested in what material they are listening to, rather than which devices. I find the process by which people pick favored artists or music genres fascinating. I suppose buying habits are a somewhat similar animal. That is - social.

Sweet, when you figure society out let me know. Most of what I observe and read in the papers, etc. just make me go :doghuh:

I've also been amused about the same thing with one-hit wonder bands and a year later seeing stacks of cut LPs or the guy behind the record exchange counter saying No, I don't need another copy of that. On the other hand it's not that much different than trendy clothes etc.

Sweet, when you figure society out let me know. Most of what I observe and read in the papers, etc. just make me go :doghuh:

I've also been amused about the same thing with one-hit wonder bands and a year later seeing stacks of cut LPs or the guy behind the record exchange counter saying No, I don't need another copy of that. On the other hand it's not that much different than trendy clothes etc.

Mmmbop!