ALO Audio is selling NOS Sony D-25S

Salt Peanuts

There was another guy who said the D25 was not a high-end Sony PCDP. I quoted him and said it was also my opinion that the D25 is not on-par with other high-end vintage Sony PCDPs (D515, D555, D303, D335, etc.) either. Though it obviously does make sense to remove our posts from the sponsored for-sale thread.

What, what a ripoff. When these were selling NOS for $100 a few years ago on head-fi they were not worth it then. I would rather listen to a shuffle. Certainly this does not compare to classics such as d303, d515, d555 etc.

Biggie.

I don't think they were even selling for that much, if I remember correctly I paid under $100 CND after shipping, taxes, etc.

There was another guy who said the D25 was not a high-end Sony PCDP. I quoted him and said it was also my opinion that the D25 is not on-par with other high-end vintage Sony PCDPs (D515, D555, D303, D335, etc.) either. Though it obviously does make sense to remove our posts from the sponsored for-sale thread.

Yep....the D-25S is better than average but nothing special. If you can find the D-303 in a nice condition....go for that. I've yet to listen to any PCDP with a nicer lineout than the Sony D-303. Again, I yet to try the Denon DCP-100 and DCP-150. The D555 is also overrated in my book.

Hello folks!

I'm new here, found the place while the other site was down.

I like the atmosphere, been reading a few days now.

Anyways, interesting thread, so it seems as good a place as any to jump in 8)

I'm not going to make any claims about this CDP, one way or another...

truth is, I have no idea what it is really worth or how good it is.

I'll admit, I do love vintage gear... but I'm also pretty sensible with my funds lol

So I saw the ALO offer, this thread, and then I went looking...

and I found one (NOS even) on ebay for $317.50 w/ 29 bids

I think that either...

A.) We here, may be underestimating the demand for this unit.

B.) eBay buyer stupidity yet again rears its head.

I'm not really sure which. :laugh: Honestly, with 29 bids I do have to wonder.

I'd kinda like an old Sony Discman, but no way in hell would I pay more than $100 for one.

Even if it was the best Discman EVAR! I can't see how $275-$300 is really justifiable for something like this.

Anyways, heres the link for anyone interested.

I find the stock 303 is overrated, though post-modification it's considerably better and is pretty good overall. I'd actually rather have the D-25, between the two. It has a better d/a converter and, post-mod, I tend to like that sound better. Still, definitely wouldn't pay anywhere near $275 for one.

Anyways, heres the link for anyone interested.

Has a shill smell to it. I've been watching this posting from the beginning and just this morning it was still at 47.00, then all of the sudden sky rocketed to its current price. Seems unlikely that experienced bidders would go this high, this soon. Too bad; I was considering a bid.

Ha . . I just watched another (used, mint) D-25S auction hover at $180.00, high bidder being the same one that just forked over 317.50 for the NOS. I was very tempted to raise the bid just so this guy would have to beat it; buy lunch for the seller. Good thing I did not play because the auction ended at 187.50; I would have owned the player.

Not that I think it a completely bad thing . . . I would like another D25 so I can perform (again attempt) the dual dac mod from scratch, given what I learned from the last one, but since I already have one that is modified, and since it sounds stupendous, I'm not as driven for one.

Crazy-ass price structures, driven even higher by the shillers and the uneducated. Too, damn, bad.

drp, I just went back and looked...

That high bidder paying $317 has zero feedback.

That seller, with 41 feedbacks, has in his history, three other NOS Sony D-25S sales recently.

Combined with what ALO has... how is it these things are rare or so valuable? Seems to be quite a number of em "NOS" in the box floating around. These are from the late 80s? Something seems a little fishy here.

If I recall correctly, the D-25S was a small-market production run of units for airliners or something that Silicon Salvage picked up a big lot of some years ago and sold on eBay for 45 or 50 dollars. Some people bought up portions of the lot, waited a while, and then are now opportunistically selling them at a big markup. IMO there are better ways to spend the money.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought one from Silicon Salvage for $55 dollars, and while it's built like a tank, it skips easily and the quality does not come close to 1 bit PCDP's currently on the market. I bought a battery from Sony for $35 and after 20-30 charging cycles, it now only lasts an hour.

It uses 4X oversampling, and I thought it sounded great until I compared it to my $90 Panasonic CT-SL570. I definitely misses a lot of the information. I use it, plugged in on Repeat All to burn in various new components.

• 7 months later...

I owned two of these thanks to the $45 SS sell-off on ebay a few years ago. A while ago I put them up for sale on head-fi and some guy outta nowhere offered me $250 each without argument, naturally I jumped at the offer and I couldn't believe it when I got the money. Some dumb people out there. Oh yeah, no, the D-25S is not worth it imho. It's an average player with a wonderful metallic sound that will fatigue your ears out pretty quickly. It's beyond me why anyone would pay more than the SS price for this unit. Head-fi FOTM strikes again!