why do you put your gear in your signature?

mjb

is it that you are that vain and shallow? is it what defines who you are? or some other reason?

mjb

[requested edit for mjb]

it was an assholefacish thing of me to do...

i appologize to anyone i've offended and/or pissed off.

sorry.

p.s. i'd put this in the first post if i could edit...

mjb

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dude, don't take it so personally... our gear is important to us, we are proud of the time and effort we go through to create our system...if i were proud of my system, i'd put it in my sig too... (well, i'll put it in there anyway)

i don't know what happened over the last couple weeks, but i go back to hf today and there's all these people that have these 20-30 line sigs full of everything electronic that they own...

mjb

I do it so that when someone reads my opinion on a piece of gear they'll have a baseline of where I'm coming from.

This is why I do it, too.

I'm too lazy to click people's profiles to check their gear and assume many are the same way.

Besides, there's hardly anything to brag about in my rig. It's mid-fi at best, so giving a frame of reference is really the only reason for me.

You can make inferences regarding an individual's tastes based off his or her gear. And yes, people do get credibility based on their gear/experience even if there isn't a true causal link between the two. People also take pride in their gear. You go to a car forum, cars in signatures. You go to a computer forum, computer rigs in signatures.

is it that you are that vain and shallow? is it what defines who you are? or some other reason?

mjb

ppl tend to take it personally when you call them vain and shallow...as they are fairly personal insults.

Just like if i was to ask why you would ask such a question, at a forum set up primarily for people to discuss their sound gear...are you dense? or do you just lack the social skills or tact? to realize that you have phrased your question as a personal insult?...'or some other reason'? :)