any good $500 or less amps for the K340's ?

Spiug31

You might be able to find a used Singlepower Extreme in that price range which might save you the duty, that would certainly be a good choice. And more than likely your going to need to find a balanced to single ended set of cables or adapters for your apogee as the odds of finding an amp with balanced inputs in your price range are really slim.

I've a pair of Neutrik XLR->RCA adaptors I can use on my XLR cables for the short term and a pair of Grover S cables which I could ask Grover to reterminate as XLR-RCA's for my long term use.

Short of maybe a really underpriced secondhand Beta22 I too doubt I'll be able to get a balanced amp that fits the budget so single-ended goodness will suffice ;)

I've a pair of Neutrik XLR->RCA adaptors

If this is going on the DAC end, watch the DC offset coming from the DAC. I don't know anything about the Mini-DAC and how it's wired internally, but most DAC chips that output balanced carry a significant amount of DC on each hot (+) and cold (-) which is cancelled out when combined.

If this is going on the DAC end, watch the DC offset coming from the DAC. I don't know anything about the Mini-DAC and how it's wired internally, but most DAC chips that output balanced carry a significant amount of DC on each hot (+) and cold (-) which is cancelled out when combined.

The Apogee mini-dac has balanced XLR output, I will likely be using a pair of XLR cables with XLR-RCA adaptors on the far end so I can connect to a single ended amp. This will be loud but safe O0

The Apogee mini-dac has balanced XLR output, I will likely be using a pair of XLR cables with XLR-RCA adaptors on the far end so I can connect to a single ended amp. This will be loud but safe O0

As long as the DAC isn't outputting DC or the amp isn't DC coupled, it'll be safe. If not, your headphones will fry very quickly. Most DAC chips output about 2.5V DC. If the output isn't DC blocked and the amp doesn't block DC on input, 2.5V x amp gain at full volume == fried voice coils.

k340s apparently only sound good on 1 amp, that was custom built for that purpose.

I think that is going a little far. I'm not the only one who likes this headphone. Just because everyone on here loooves the leatherheads and a few select Grado's doesn't mean the K340's only sound good on my amp. :P

I'm sure they would sound quite nice on that cute mosfet amp of yours as well. ;)

I think that is going a little far. I'm not the only one who likes this headphone. Just because everyone on here loooves the leatherheads and a few select Grado's doesn't mean they only sound good on my amp. :P

I'm sure they would sound quite nice on that cute mosfet amp of yours as well. ;)

Send em down, I'll listen for a week and let you know ;)

I don't see any balanced options being within your budget. For $275 shipped, you can get a Darkvoice 336i, toss in a couple new tubes and the K340s sound good. I had the 336 not 336i and I haven't paid attention to what changes may have taken place, but it's one of those serious bang for the buck amps if you're looking at K340s, since there's not much around in your price range that can drive them well. I'd suggest a used SinglePower as well, especially since it might do better with other headphones, but if you're looking at only the K340s, pick up and DV and spent the rest of your money on something else or save it up for something better down the line.