Generic mods

Dusty Chalk

Do-it-yourself-ers and MOTs:

If someone had a mid-fi device that you knew nothing about, what would be your first recommendation? I'm fond of my X-Tone, but suspect it has cheap op-amps and/or caps in there -- any recommendations? I also have a MF X-24K that I suspect could be better. For that matter, I have a whole slew of X-tube stuff -- X-Pre, X-CANv2, X-LP2 -- I suspect the recommended mods for the X-Pre would be the same as the mods on the X-CANv2, neh?

If anyone wants me to post pics of internal organs, let me know.

You can check out PinkFloyd's site for X mods http://rockgrotto.proboards39.com/index.cgi

Depends on how much you want to spend, and how much work you want to put into it. I would consider stuff such as:

• replace electrolytics with Panasonic FMs, as long as they aren't on the outputs of voltage regulators, which might need more ESR to be happy
  • get rid of any tantalum caps as these tend to fail as a dead short... replace with Wimas suchg as MKS-2s
  • replace PSU diodes with Shottkys, such as 11DQ10/31DQ10
  • make sure opamps are bypassed well... 100uf Pana FMs right on the V+ and V- pins to ground, possibly something like 3.3nf MKP between V+ and V-, you could also try Carlos FMs snubbers (0.1ohm SMT resistor and 3.3nf ceramic COG or NPO SMT in series, between the pins of the FMs). Leads on radial caps as short as possible.
  • replace coupling caps with film or BlackGate NX or K series, Cerafines/Silmics, Nichicon Muse, whatever floats your boat

1) Analyze the circuit.

2) Replace opamps with your choice, as it fits the circuit.

3) Replace power caps with low ESR caps (Panasonic FM, OSCON, etc.) with high ripple rejection. This can stabilize the power rails. You may even want to increase the capacitance...as long as it's a power rail cap and not one for an HPF or LPF.

4) Bypass caps in audio path that you think may have an effect with film caps.

Other mods are more intensive and should only be done if you think the device is worth it. Bypassing is a simple soldering exercise. You don't need to worry too much about stray inductance and capacitance from long leads, you're looking for a sonic change. If you hear a change and you think it's worth more effort you can look into replacing the bypass with boutique caps.