Need ideas for a 8ft x 10ft workshop

sbelyo

So I'm turning one of my garage bays into a workshop.  I'm able to fit 8' x 10' with a 9' 6" ceiling no problem.  I need some ideas on counter surfaces and cabinets.  I'd need some storage, an area for a desktop and 4-6 amps, 2 dacs, and a preamp.  Lastly an area to work on projects.

Is there an online layout tool that doesn't have a huge learning curve or anyone on here that can do a layout?  I'd gladly throw a few bucks their way for some time.

I used graph paper and made scale cut outs of the tools and cabinets to see how they would fit. I'm not sure what you mean by wanting ideas for cabinets so you might need to give more information like what kind of work you're going to do in the shop and what you need to store, etc. Upper cabinets for my shop were from a kitchen I helped remodel and then we built the base cabinets. 

Edited by Voltron
  • Like 2

On 12/10/2022 at 2:46 AM, Voltron said:

I used graph paper and made scale cut outs of the tools and cabinets to see how they would fit. I'm not sure what you mean by wanting ideas for cabinets so you might need to give more information like what kind of work you're going to do in the shop and what you need to store, etc. Upper cabinets for my shop were from a kitchen I helped remodel and then we built the base cabinets. 

I thought about doing that as well.  Mostly just assembling amps and such so soldering, drilling.  No wood working or welding.  I might add a 3D printer.

I saw some unfinished base cabinets at the homedepot.  I might go that route if I can't find anything local or on craigslist.

• 6 months later...

here's a drawing of what I have so far.  The framer is going to start at the end of the month.  After that I'll have the studs treated with borate. Next will be the electrical and network lines.  Initially I was just going to use some off the shelf cabinets from the home depot, but my son works for a cabinet maker so I should be able to get some custom desk height cabinets made so I can have drawers.  

Any suggestions on the layout?  The countertops will span the cabinets and the knee wall in front of the water heater.  I'm thinking of using butcher block

BelyoRoom.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 7/19/2023 at 8:46 PM, justin said:

8x10 is pretty small, so make good use of the vertical walls

also consider a wall mounted tankless water heater to reclaim the space

I managed to change out the garage door opener to a jackshaft model.  That bought me 3 feet so the space is now 11 feet by 10 feet.  Still haven't framed it though.  Trying to get this off the ground this month.  I bought a 2013 ZL1 Camaro and went down a rabbit hole for four months getting it to 622 RWHP on E85 (there's more in it but I ran out of fuel pump).  Now that I got that where I want it I'll start this room and hopefully start building amps again.

• Like 1