Patience with that other forum

ronnielee54

Okay after finding this place just recently, and then jumping back and forth to the other forum (HF), I am starting to loose patience with the other place. Does any of those fuckers know how to use the search function. Surely by now everybody ought to fucking have a pretty good idea of what the "best closed headphone under $100" is, or even the "best portable amp under $150" is.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...Surely by now everybody ought to fucking have a pretty good idea of what the "best closed headphone under $100" is, or even the "best portable amp under $150" is.
Uh, no -- first of all, we don't all agree on that. Secondly, n00bs are called that because they are new to the forum -- of course they don't know yet, they just started researching the topic.

Uh, no -- first of all, we don't all agree on that. Secondly, n00bs are called that because they are new to the forum -- of course they don't know yet, they just started researching the topic.

While I do agree with most of that, even though they are n00bs they should still know how to use the search function.

It's human nature in the age of entitlement. Everyone wants personal attention and to feel like their needs are being attended to. I suspect at least half the people posting those questions are well aware of the search function, but they want personal attention, and I suspect they also want to participate. Since they have nothing yet to offer due to inexperience, that's their only foot in the door. Should they consider the fact that they're cluttering up the forum, especially if they see three more threads with their identical question on the first page? Yes, but most people don't bother to think how their actions affect others in their daily lives. Why would they stop to consider such now? That said, I do think some of the responsibility for how bad it's gotten falls on members who know better and allow it. A simple "please look at other threads first before asking" rather than "Have you ever heard of search?" would go a long way. I don't think it's wrong to kitten-slap a noob for posting things that are messing up a forum. I also think mods could start saying that, and start combining or deleting threads if it's clear there's five 600 vs 650 threads going on at the same time yet again. A few weeks of that, and I bet it would stop. Of course, I could be wrong.

Oh, they know how to use it alright, they just don't. They prefer to start their own personal thread about it.

And the threads get responses. It works, why stop?

A headphone wiki would go a long way to solve those sorts of problems, and the issues of editing would be little different than the issues of selective moderation.

I don't really see much point in a headphone-specific forum other than the odd review/impressions thread, debate about X vs Y, and what ____ is right for me, though. The third thread type results in new pairs of eyes to look at the sponsored ads.

I also think mods could start saying that, and start combining or deleting threads if it's clear there's five 600 vs 650 threads going on at the same time yet again. A few weeks of that, and I bet it would stop. Of course, I could be wrong.

There is a steady influx of new blood making the same mistakes though, so it will be a new way of doing things rather than a temporary fix. I don't really get the impression HF exists to foster discussion anymore, though.

It's human nature in the age of entitlement. Everyone wants personal attention and to feel like their needs are being attended to. I suspect at least half the people posting those questions are well aware of the search function, but they want personal attention, and I suspect they also want to participate. Since they have nothing yet to offer due to inexperience, that's their only foot in the door. Should they consider the fact that they're cluttering up the forum, especially if they see three more threads with their identical question on the first page? Yes, but most people don't bother to think how their actions affect others in their daily lives. Why would they stop to consider such now? That said, I do think some of the responsibility for how bad it's gotten falls on members who know better and allow it. A simple "please look at other threads first before asking" rather than "Have you ever heard of search?" would go a long way. I don't think it's wrong to kitten-slap a noob for posting things that are messing up a forum. I also think mods could start saying that, and start combining or deleting threads if it's clear there's five 600 vs 650 threads going on at the same time yet again. A few weeks of that, and I bet it would stop. Of course, I could be wrong.

Did you get that from Tyll? Well even if you didn't, I really agree with it. The problem is that search isn't always perfect and it's hard to find "exactly" what you want, and as ph0rk said a wiki would be a great way to solve that problem.

Did you get that from Tyll? Well even if you didn't, I really agree with it. The problem is that search isn't always perfect and it's hard to find "exactly" what you want, and as ph0rk said a wiki would be a great way to solve that problem.

No, but I wouldn't be surprised if he thought the same. He's kinda a smart guy. :)

ph0rk and boomana -- exactly.

A wiki would solve the reference aspect that Tyll describes, but wouldn't solve the "knows just enough to be dangerous" types. I mean, let's say I were just starting out -- I happen to know that my tastes differ from others, and I know what's important to me, and what's not -- is a wiki going to be able to tell me what has the most straightforward frequency response, the best prat, handles busy music well, but I couldn't care less about soundstaging and imaging? No, only if someone else who cares about those same things happens to post those same things. I'm going to have to ask someone more experienced about that. Hey, look, they talk a lot in this "head-fi" forum, I'll just go in there, pour a cold one, and chat with the locals.

The funny thing is, it works in real life, too. Haven't you ever just chatted someone up, just because they seem to know a thing or two in your topic area -- say, standing in line waiting for concert tickets ("dude, you should totally check them out, they sound exactly like Gabriel-era Genesis")? Or responded to a conversation to which you were a stranger ("I forget whether it was the Moody Blues or Pink Floyd...I need to find out, because I was told I really need to hear the rest of the album")?

So...why not?

Other than it annoys the locals. But the people who run the tourist traps like tourists. So...there ya go.

It's human nature in the age of entitlement. Everyone wants personal attention and to feel like their needs are being attended to. I suspect at least half the people posting those questions are well aware of the search function, but they want personal attention, and I suspect they also want to participate.

x2 on everything you said, boomana.

ph0rk and boomana -- exactly.

A wiki would solve the reference aspect that Tyll describes, but wouldn't solve the "knows just enough to be dangerous" types. I mean, let's say I were just starting out -- I happen to know that my tastes differ from others, and I know what's important to me, and what's not -- is a wiki going to be able to tell me what has the most straightforward frequency response, the best prat, handles busy music well, but I couldn't care less about soundstaging and imaging? No, only if someone else who cares about those same things happens to post those same things. I'm going to have to ask someone more experienced about that. Hey, look, they talk a lot in this "head-fi" forum, I'll just go in there, pour a cold one, and chat with the locals.

The funny thing is, it works in real life, too. Haven't you ever just chatted someone up, just because they seem to know a thing or two in your topic area -- say, standing in line waiting for concert tickets ("dude, you should totally check them out, they sound exactly like Gabriel-era Genesis")? Or responded to a conversation to which you were a stranger ("I forget whether it was the Moody Blues or Pink Floyd...I need to find out, because I was told I really need to hear the rest of the album")?

So...why not?

Other than it annoys the locals. But the people who run the tourist traps like tourists. So...there ya go.

There's really nothing to solve there. If all the questions posted were like yours, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

There's really nothing to solve there. If all the questions posted were like yours, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

They'd still be looking for answers that could theoretically be solved by searching, if by a great deal of it I sometimes get the impression that many people would just prefer that newbies don't ask questions at all, which is unfortunate.

Many moons ago I putzed around on the occasional mud while at work (though no real die-hard mudder). It was always interesting to watch people fall over themselves offering help and advice to newbies - a very different climate.

But the people who run the tourist traps like tourists. So...there ya go.

Zing.

They'd still be looking for answers that could theoretically be solved by searching, if by a great deal of it I sometimes get the impression that many people would just prefer that newbies don't ask questions at all, which is unfortunate.

I sometimes find that some members prefer that newbies would just go away. We all started out as newbies. On the other hand, I feel it is the newbies resposibility to do some research on their own before starting a thread. Quite a few times the answer to their question has been given many times.

hehe TMI

Seriously, I can understand why someone would search and then ask for advice after a thread has been silent for months. What was once heartily recommended might have been surpassed as time passes.

Somebody reviewing threads might assume I'd recommend a Move today (based on SQ only). Nope. I was secretly hoping HF would lose those threads in the crash but my naivety is recorded for posterity ;)

Ideally a few well researched PMs would be the way to go, otherwise, append to the existing thread.

It's human nature in the age of entitlement. Everyone wants personal attention and to feel like their needs are being attended to.

Call it what it is. The generation Y types who were taught that you can never fail, and you

are the only one who matters, and who want it NOW.

Hold on to your hats, because it is going to get worse. Much worse.

I've been interviewing for IT types. All i'm getting is gen Y idiots. People who have never written

a single line of code, yet want a starting salary of $100k plus 5 weeks of vacation plus flex time

plus plus plus.

I've put these candidates in front of a machine with visual studio on it, and told them to make

the one line C program "hello world". Not a single person has been able to do it yet.

Give me a fucking break.

Call it what it is. The generation Y types who were taught that you can never fail, and you

are the only one who matters, and who want it NOW.

Hold on to your hats, because it is going to get worse. Much worse.

I've been interviewing for IT types. All i'm getting is gen Y idiots. People who have never written

a single line of code, yet want a starting salary of $100k plus 5 weeks of vacation plus flex time

plus plus plus.

I've put these candidates in front of a machine with visual studio on it, and told them to make

the one line C program "hello world". Not a single person has been able to do it yet.

Give me a fucking break.

Wow, I am a social science major and even I can do that (had a programming class in high school). Pretty pathetic. Good luck with your search.

...I've been interviewing for IT types. All i'm getting is gen Y idiots. People who have never written

plus plus plus...

I like the sys admins who think it's a 9-5 M-F job when the business runs 24x7. Their idea of being on call is to tell the biz they can't figure it out and they will look at it in the morning (really pass it off to the senior admins). Try to 'teach them to fish' and same thing happens next time. repeat. repeat. sigh.