Glenn Gould - The Complete Original Jacket Collection

postjack

51lgc4knqnlss500405e3dbus8.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/B000TJQ75E/104-1306215-5332750?SubscriptionId=1ZJXCA3ADBXFZJPBRMG2

80 CDs, $200. :o

Each CD comes in a mini-LP sleeve, and the CDs themselves are recreated to look like little vinyls.

I have no familiarity with Gould's work, but I have a hard time passing up a deal like this. Any thoughts?

I've only heard his Well Tempered Clavier, but that was... weird, to say the least. It was like, woah, am I hearing right? It's probably best to listen to some samples from various sections, because he's well known for certain things. Who knows, this set might give you something to experience for a long time to come.

Dude, it works out to like $2.50/disk.

See? Glad I'm not the only one who thinks this way.

I actually found out about the box in a thread at the hoffman forums. Apparently not but a few weeks ago, the price dropped to ~$110. Back to $199 now though. :-\

I often wonder what formula amazon uses in their pricing. They alway seem to swing up and down wildly.

many consider his version to be definitive.

Really? I thought many consider other works by Schiff and Landowska to be definitive of the WTC. At least I think so :)

I can only say that Gould has some tight interpretation on select Bach's, while not so much on others. I can enjoy listening to his WTC II for example, but I don't like his Bach clavier concertos, and I have mixed feelings on some movements of his famous Goldberg recordings.

I think this set is a valuable resource for any keyboardist, or a music collector.

Bah, maybe he was influential and I should know about him and don't, but there is no way he is one of the most famous people from Canada.

He's quite famous isn't he? If he's already one of the more famous people in the music world... he's pretty darn famous as a Canadian isn't he :)

He really is not only one of the most famous Canadians but one of the most famous classical performers of all time. Don't feel bad about not knowing who he is, but he is really famous.

Postjack, you should pick up those CDs if they dip in price again. I'm sure that in some point of your expedition of classical music you'll learn to love glenn gould's performances. Every single one I've personally heard is exceptional.

Edit: but it should be known that he does grunt and hum quite a bit.