Bands you don't get that everyone else seems to like

boomana

It may be boring, but at least there's a lot of it? :)

For me, I'd never go to a DSO show. Why? Because I saw the real thing. I don't need to have them recreate a show. If I was at the original, I was there. If I wasn't, I wasn't. If I want to hear one of the old shows, I have access to almost all the material.

I got free tickets since I worked at the radio station and I didnt know who they were until like 3 days before the concert.

and man, I'm 20. There is basically no way that I could have seen the GD live

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got free tickets since I worked at the radio station and I didnt know who they were until like 3 days before the concert.

and man, I'm 20. There is basically no way that I could have seen the GD live

So don't bother with DSO. Find something new, not a weird take on a nostalgia band.

I don't think I saw coldplay anywhere here. It would help if they actually knew how to play their instruments, but their songs are very simplistic, my 7th grade students can write better songs, and the lyrics to me are really corny. A watered down U2 in my book.

you know how i know you're gay? You like coldplay

i still like them. very good background music.

I don't even think the material has potential.

I'm also getting sick of artists that are complete train wrecks and reveling it in. Can't we have good role models that are also talented? Too much to ask?

Or who at least get an implant if they "knock out" a tooth and are going to be in front of cameras. If you won't give a shit about your image, why should I?

Just about any prog and power metal band that tries to write classical music.

I used to be a classical composer, maybe that's why I have higher standards. But, I have a hard time appreciating the metal in a song when the classical elements are something that an 8th grader with a classical music education could handily improve upon.

So, stuff like Rhapsody and Dragonforce is hilariously bad to my ears. Latter-day Dream Theater as well; DT was pretty good when Kevin Moore was at the songwriting helm, but when he left he took all of DT's melodic talent with him.

Whatever, Watchtower already said everything that DT was trying to say in back '89 (I think... a bit hazy oh my music history).

Just about the only classical/metal hybrid I could stand was Symphony-X, and then only for a few albums - V is their masterpiece and Twilight on Olympus (I think? Don't remember) was also pretty good.

Winds was alright too, but way too bombastic and overblown.

Bands I agree with Grawk on: Dead & Phish. I never try to convince anybody these bands are good. Its just a thing. And for the record I never saw the Dead live. And if you don't currently like either of these bands (or Panic, who I usually put just a wee notch above Phish) then good for you, because its time consuming as hell listening to their music. You could listen to several '65-'67 blue note jazz albums in the time it takes to listen to one show.

Bands I like a lot who others don't (in this thread): Ryan Adams. I urge people to listen to Heartbreaker, Cold Roses, and Jacksonville City Nights in their entirety before making any judgment calls. If you don't like him then, you are off the hook. ;) He is a true master of song writing and vocals, and as a bonus his albums are recorded in a fashion super pleasing to this audiophile's ear.

Yeah I love Phish as well. Bands like that though are like psychedelic drugs. If you've tried it and had the experience and been hooked, they can provide (or you know that they have provided) positive and life changing experiences. However, I would never recommend that anybody get 'into' these bands since there is really no clear cut way to turn anybody on to this sort of music, it just has to come to you (or you to it). But once you 'get it', like you say, it can be all consuming, at least for a portion of your life.

Ryan Adams is like that in a sense as well - you have to 'get it'. Cold Roses gets the closest to that country-deadhead vibe and hence its one of my faves.

Neil

Rush and Yes are in my top 10 favourite acts of all time.

See, there's another one. And how anyone can perceive Rush as any more wankfestive than Yes is purely beyond me.

I mostly find yes overdone and boring. I cannot stand most rush. WAY wankfest.

Dream Theater and most things that sound like it. It all sounds like Rush on [insert drug here] to me.

Radiohead for awhile. Though I do like In Rainbows a lot, it's nothing revolutionary.

Sonic Youth. I have Daydream Nation and I just don't see what all the fuss is about. Maybe I need to listen to it more or something... :P

Meatloaf. I thought I would really like Bat Out Of Hell considering how much I love Tenacious D, which seems to be very inspired by him, but I really didn't like it at all.

Captain Beefheart. I don't think any description is necessary here.

Meatloaf. I thought I would really like Bat Out Of Hell considering how much I love Tenacious D, which seems to be very inspired by him, but I really didn't like it at all.

Captain Beefheart. I don't think any description is necessary here.

Who are you talking to that says these two are well regarded?

How can you put the wankfest that is Rush in the same sentence as Yes?

why praise either when there's such better prog rock out there? such as:

Magma

Univers Zero

Art Bears

Van der Graaf Generator

King Crimson

Gong

Henry Cow

After Dinner

Amon D??l II

Popol Vuh

Can

Frank Zappa

Camel

Slapp Happy

Harvester

Tr?d, Gr?s och Stenar

+ most other krautrock / zeuhl / r.i.o.

I talk to strange people I guess...

I have no idea how I forget the biggest one of all: The Velvet Underground. I don't see the appeal at all, and certainly don't get how "One would be hard pressed to name a rock album whose influence has been as broad and pervasive as The Velvet Underground and Nico."

why praise either when there's such better prog rock out there? such as:

Magma

Univers Zero

Art Bears

Van der Graaf Generator

King Crimson

Gong

Henry Cow

After Dinner

Amon D??l II

Popol Vuh

Can

Frank Zappa

Camel

Slapp Happy

Harvester

Tr?d, Gr?s och Stenar

+ most other krautrock / zeuhl / r.i.o.

The ones I do know on there are definitely awesome, but Yes isn't too bad, especially with Bruford. Anyway, I guess I shouldn't have been such an assfacehole regarding Rush.