Bands you don't get that everyone else seems to like

boomana

I talk to strange people I guess...

I have no idea how I forget the biggest one of all: The Velvet Underground. I don't see the appeal at all, and certainly don't get how "One would be hard pressed to name a rock album whose influence has been as broad and pervasive as The Velvet Underground and Nico."

You may not get it, but it's pretty true....

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Close to the Edge was my fav as well. And in terms of musical integrity, it is a mistake to put a second rate band such as Rush in the same sentence, even with Neil Peart (who I still think is overrated).

Not sure I'd put Zappa in the progressive category ??? His music pretty much defies categorization. Seeing Zappa and the Mothers in the '70s with a relatively unknown opening band at the time called Steely Dan was a trip... them being booed offstage cuz of the headliner. Good show.

why praise either when there's such better prog rock out there? such as:

Magma

Univers Zero

Art Bears

Van der Graaf Generator

King Crimson

Gong

Henry Cow

After Dinner

Amon D??l II

Popol Vuh

Can

Frank Zappa

Camel

Slapp Happy

Harvester

Tr?d, Gr?s och Stenar

+ most other krautrock / zeuhl / r.i.o.

And of course Necronomicon isn't on the list >:(

I talk to strange people I guess...

I have no idea how I forget the biggest one of all: The Velvet Underground. I don't see the appeal at all, and certainly don't get how "One would be hard pressed to name a rock album whose influence has been as broad and pervasive as The Velvet Underground and Nico."

best...band...ever

true, they sound the same coming out of an old am radio as they do out of your expensive gear, but imo they were way ahead of their time, arguably still are.

Camel... what a band! David Gilmour-like guitar solos but with such better music and sans that annoying fucker..what's his name? Ahh, yes, roger waters.

Anyway, Amon Duul II owns as well, love 'em. Additionally, italian prog such as Banco del Mutuo Secorso has all the musical virtuosity, but WITH songwriting and intent (aka NOT Wankfest). Check out Darwin or IO Sono Nato Libro.

Prog is odd like that - it is one of the most schizophrenic types of music. Like many Canterburry acts with their bizzare humor (Gong, Caravan) or the German Shit which is just plain awkward and weird (Kraan). But musically, wow. The 70's had it. The new stuff rarely excites or intrigues or moves me.

AND while I'm at it, what the FUCK is up with High Gain Distortion? Fuck high gain distortion (which btw epitmoizes Jon Petrucci's sound). I remember the good old days when they made amps right (well I was dead, or undead, or unborn or in a past life or whatever, but if it was a past live I would have been very old and probably not listening to music like this, classical maybe? anyway), and anyway, we had beautiful tube amps with great sounding tube saturation (David Gilmour, Gentle Giant's tone's, Steve Hillage (except for his overly electronic and effected stuff, Andy Latimer (Camel)). Those were tones man.

Neil

Prog is odd like that - it is one of the most schizophrenic types of music. Like many Canterburry acts with their bizzare humor (Gong, Caravan) or the German Shit which is just plain awkward and weird (Kraan). But musically, wow. The 70's had it. The new stuff rarely excites or intrigues or moves me.

And this is why I love prog :)

Neil you should check out The Pineapple Thief (if you haven't done so already). Modern prog band, though their two most recent albums are a bit too straight forward. Variations on a Dream is probably their best album.

I don't even think the material has potential.

I'm also getting sick of artists that are complete train wrecks and reveling it in. Can't we have good role models that are also talented? Too much to ask?

Died with Zappa.

Wilco / Tweedy / Son Volt / Farrar / Uncle Tupelo - what the fuck, and who cares - one soggy bag of shit.

Big local favorite is the Old 97s - Rhett Miller is cute, and all, but really.

DT - I have 'Scenes From a Memory' - will mail it to anyone who will pay the postage - really.

My only quibble so far is The Stones - always a grittier alternative during the Rutles years. 'Sticky Fingers' rotates for me weekly,

As far as prog, I am shocked no one ragged on Tool, so now I don't have to scurry to their defense.

Brian Johnson with AC/DC - that band died with Bon Scott.

Finally, damn near everything that has shown up on SNL for the last 5 years or so...

I ADORE Alison Krause on 'New Favorite', but can't listen to anything else she has put out - I can lay wrapped up in that all day long.

• 4 weeks later...