Counterpoint: Bands you love that other people don't get.

ph0rk

Killing Joke - They get better and better with time, like a fine wine or cheese.
Yeah! That self-titled album was a slayer, wunnit?

Me: Kylie Minogue -- Yeah, I know, she's got a not-small audience, but most of the people I know (read: indie music hipster snobs) have only heard of her, and all they know is that she's some knicker-on-stage-wearing disco pop-diva-bimbo, and have no idea what I see in her. "[noembed]

[/noembed]" is a synth-pop masterpiece (warning: the video is probably a little too much for anyone who is even remotely homophobic to watch more than once -- cracks me up, though -- the irony of having one of the hottest women in the world surrounded by a bunch of [wink wink nudge nudge] male model types is not lost on me).

*Hey, Todd, why isn't "noembed" working? Did I use it incorrectly?

Yeah! That self-titled album was a slayer, wunnit?

Like an explosion in your head :) Never heard 40-somethings rock quite like that. Jaz was 43 when KJ 2003 was released.

As an aside, I knew my current Girlfriend loved me when she went to the Raleigh schoolkids records and bought their only copy for me on release day, before I even got there. (Man I was mad they sold out though!)

For me it's probably Rasputina. I know some people here can appreciate them, but most of my friends look at my like I'm crazy when I tell them I like something that can be described as "Neo-Victorian Chamber Rock". But I heart the cello, and I heart Melora and her wacky musical and lyrical sensibilities, so it's as good as it gets for me.

Primus - what's not to love? :)

x2...Have you heard Les Claypool's "Of Whales and Woe?" Fucking fantastic.

-edit- I'm sure there are quite a few bands I love that most don't get (including most of my metal stuff), but I'm pretty sure I couldn't think of most of them. Some of the other stuff: ohGr, Polyphonic Spree, Dog Fashion Disco. Then there are those few mainstream bands I love that I never seem to find others loving, like Third Eye Blind or Presidents of the United States of America. I'll have to go through my library when I get home to see what I'm forgetting.

Kylie Minogue is good stuff for sure, but I don't think she makes her music?
I think that's really her voice there singing, but I don't think she pretends to play the guitar or sit at a keyboard, so who cares? I think we stopped caring about that in 1990. L, even Depeche Mode got outside producers to help when Alan Wilder left them.