If you had to downgrade your entire rig to $500 ...

jinp6301

I'd probably keep the Alessandro MS-1 and Headsave Classic and get an Oppo DV-980H.

I've been really impressed with what I've heard from the Oppo I just got out of my modest speaker setup, I can't want to get an amp again so I can hear how it holds up with headphones.

Interesting to see that almost everyone gets senns if they were to downgrade. I guess grados arent as good for the money

My budget rig was built around Grado's, kinda wish I would of done a few things differently now, and plan on doing some upgrades when I get back working.

I use my computer as source, I bought the Headfive last year for $250, NOS Number Cruncher 203.2 for $50, and the SR80's ran me about $95. Cables: Quail power cord, Monoprice Toslink, still need to upgrade my RCA patch using an old Monster Cable MKII400.

Pretty cool but I'm sure that the Gamma's have a 1.5um diaphragm. I think the NB could be better then all of the other SR-5's as the plastic is different but I haven't tested this theory.

I'm using the SR-5NB's membranes in the transplanted gamma drivers, because I accidentally poked a small hole in one of the GP's membranes <___<

...Of course there's another guy in NH who might have time and is better known for doing that type of stuff than I am. Wink

Ummm I need a built-from-scratch HE60 enclosure, how much would a job like that cost me?

I've been really impressed with what I've heard from the Oppo I just got out of my modest speaker setup, I can't want to get an amp again so I can hear how it holds up with headphones.

Yes, I think I might end up getting a modded Oppo player later regardless of my audio setup. It will always be useful for upconverting my DVDs to an HDTV set, when I finally get one (hoping for good Boxing Day sales - a uniquely Canadian phenomenon) and SACD/HDCD would be a great bonus for the few discs of those that I have. Also, the ability to output DSD through HDMI 1.2a could be useful if I want to go further with SACD.

I'm using the SR-5NB's membranes in the transplanted gamma drivers, because I accidentally poked a small hole in one of the GP's membranes <___<

Poked a hole in the diaphragm!!!!!! :kitty: I think going to lay down a cry for a bit... ;D

The driver should work just fine with a small hole. One of my Micro Seiki's produced sound with the film in small flakes...

Ummm I need a built-from-scratch HE60 enclosure, how much would a job like that cost me?

Are you sure you can't order the two pieces from Sennheiser? I'm pretty sure they get exchanged a lot during repairs because of the stupid screws they used. You need the front and back parts of the housing, the rubber o-ring that seals the baffle and a headband... and a cable... can't be that hard to get. ???

No earthly clue and I'm not sure if it's even reasonably possible. If I were looking for something like I think you're describing I'd talk to swt61 on Head-Fi about it, he'd probably be better suited although I have no idea if he'd be interested.

Poked a hole in the diaphragm!!!!!! :kitty: I think going to lay down a cry for a bit... ;D

The driver should work just fine with a small hole. One of my Micro Seiki's produced sound with the film in small flakes...

Are you sure you can't order the two pieces from Sennheiser? I'm pretty sure they get exchanged a lot during repairs because of the stupid screws they used. You need the front and back parts of the housing, the rubber o-ring that seals the baffle and a headband... and a cable... can't be that hard to get. ???

The small hole resulted in a very noticeable channel imbalance :( Good thing I had a spare pair of membranes from the faulty SR-5 drivers.

Well, the place where I got the drivers from said they couldn't order it from Sennheiser, so I assumed that the enclosure pieces aren't available anymore. At least I won't need the cable since I have an extra 2.5M of stax extension cable left.

No earthly clue and I'm not sure if it's even reasonably possible. If I were looking for something like I think you're describing I'd talk to swt61 on Head-Fi about it, he'd probably be better suited although I have no idea if he'd be interested.

Ok, thanks anyway :)

The small hole resulted in a very noticeable channel imbalance :( Good thing I had a spare pair of membranes from the faulty SR-5 drivers.

I've never had this happen to me and there is no theoretical reason for this...it could be a bad connection but the old SR-X driver are very temperamental beasts... :-\

Well, the place where I got the drivers from said they couldn't order it from Sennheiser, so I assumed that the enclosure pieces aren't available anymore. At least I won't need the cable since I have an extra 2.5M of stax extension cable left.

I think it would be worth a shot to talk to the local distributor, Senn USA or some of the big ones. I'm sure they still have the parts as they cost next to nothing to make and Sennheiser has a bit of an obsession with spare parts.

The Sennheiser cable is pure crap so you are much better off with a Stax extension.

I've never had this happen to me and there is no theoretical reason for this...it could be a bad connection but the old SR-X driver are very temperamental beasts... Undecided

You mean the way the SR-5 drivers turned bad? I figured that it might have something to do with me fiddling around with them too much >< I'm thinking about having the faulty drivers re-built someday, maybe swapping out the thin films that connect the stators, resoldering all of the connections, etc. The stators should still be alligned, so there might be hope yet in their ressurection.

I think it would be worth a shot to talk to the local distributor, Senn USA or some of the big ones. I'm sure they still have the parts as they cost next to nothing to make and Sennheiser has a bit of an obsession with spare parts.

I've emailed the asian distributor, but honestly I really like the idea of having a one of a kind enclosure for my HE60s :D

You mean the way the SR-5 drivers turned bad? I figured that it might have something to do with me fiddling around with them too much >< I'm thinking about having the faulty drivers re-built someday, maybe swapping out the thin films that connect the stators, resoldering all of the connections, etc. The stators should still be alligned, so there might be hope yet in their ressurection.

One problem with these drivers is the single point bias system so if there is any corrosion you'll get a very reduced output. Still I hate working with these drivers as they are very fragile...

I've emailed the asian distributor, but honestly I really like the idea of having a one of a kind enclosure for my HE60s :D

That would be cool. just make sure that the builder seals up the baffle airtight.

• 2 months later...

My take on the OP's question:

For $500, your not going to get anything that sounds world class or whatever, so I'd say get a pair of PX100 and a transit. Spend the rest on music.

Every rig, no matter how lavish, can always use more music. ;D

Option B: Forget you have the $500, put it away someplace safe, then save up another $500. Repeat the cycle 3 more times. Then re asses the situation. ;)