If you had to downgrade your entire rig to $500 ...

jinp6301

How good is the line out of the transit anyways? I have a M Audio Audiophile USB which has a pretty nice line out, but thats a little more expensive then the transit.

and I see a lot of GLite suggestions. Am I the only one that wasnt blown away by the GLite with grados (I liked it a lot with the 580)? I liked the CK2III much more then the GLite with both grados and senns.

I found the M Audio Audiophile USB to sound quite good for the money. Never heard the transit, but I'm guessing that the Audiophile is probably slightly better.

I've never found grados to sound good, so I can't comment on them out of the GLite, but I've always thought of the GLite as being one of the best bangs for the buck.

Swap out a Denon DA-500 for the DAC-AH and you've got my old office rig. It was great. Probably a more technically capable rig than what I have at home, and an amazing vaue.

This idea is what I did a year or so ago. I'm into my current rig for less than $500 but only because the amp and wireless music streamer were gifts.

HF-1 + zebrawood cups = $230

Denon DA-500 = $100

Denon DCD-815 = $40

Millett Hybrid w/ STEPS & diamond buffers = $0

SMC ez-Stream = $0

Outlaw Audio RCAs, Coax & Optical cables < $100

The DAC-AH isn't as good as you guys claim it to be though. As a DAC for the price, I guess it may be okay. But there are a few vintage CDPs that cost about as much or less and beat it hands-down imho.

What about modded? There are quite a few variations of fairly inexpensive mods for the DAC-AH that from reports I've read say they do nice things.

I'm certainly not going to reveal my sources but I can assure you it can be done. I just bought a SR-Sigma for 55$ and a Lambda Signature for 74$. There is often a chance that they won't work but then I'll just have some extra spare parts, no harm done. It is very much possible to put together a killer setup for 500$.

what the fettucini o_O

My $500 setup would consist of:

SR-5NB + SRD-7mk2: $300

M-audio SuperDAC: $120

Pioneer SA-6200: $60

My SR-5NB is a long way off "stock" though - it has a wide PC-OCC cable and Gamma Pro drivers (with the original 2um membrane), and it sounds awesome out of just about anything <3

My SR-5NB is a long way off "stock" though - it has a wide PC-OCC cable and Gamma Pro drivers (with the original 2um membrane), and it sounds awesome out of just about anything <3

Pretty cool but I'm sure that the Gamma's have a 1.5um diaphragm. I think the NB could be better then all of the other SR-5's as the plastic is different but I haven't tested this theory.