Ahhhh...Vintage RS-1's

recstar24

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry but I'm with Jp on this one. He has some big expenses coming like a plane ticket to FLA and a Langerado VIP pass. Sometimes exceptions need to be made. Besides, don't you already own every headphone known to man, sorry, know woman.

Bah. Like I'm not buying a ticket to California sooner! I want in on Langerado this year. I'm actually not working for the first time in four years on Friday and Saturday. Also, I'm picking up two tickets Eric Culberson next week? Do you want in? I'll get more.

John, you bastard, call me! I don't have $1500, but I still want first crack if reasonable, if that high price is a lie.

Bah. Like I'm not buying a ticket to California sooner! I want in on Langerado this year. I'm actually not working for the first time in four years on Friday and Saturday. Also, I'm picking up two tickets Eric Culberson next week? Do you want in? I'll get more.

John, you bastard, call me! I don't have $1500, but I still want first crack if reasonable, if that high price is a lie.

I forgot about Culberson. It's 12/13, I think. I should be able to make it. If you don't mind, get me a ticket. Hopefully I will make it. I will either pay you up there or send you a check if for some reason I can't make it. It shouldn't be a problem, though.

I forgot about Culberson. It's 12/13, I think. I should be able to make it. If you don't mind, get me a ticket. Hopefully I will make it. I will either pay you up there or send you a check if for some reason I can't make it. It shouldn't be a problem, though.

I got you covered. See, some of us still think of others.... :angel: Meanwhile, I was just readying myself to curse at John when he pretends his cell phone is going dead. "Hello? hello? I hate my cell phone." That's what he said. Likely story.

A thought - Given that Grado has now released a new style of RS-1, it might be a good idea to stock up on a few extra pairs of the old style ones with the button. Another 2-5 years and I'm pretty sure they'll be selling for more than the retail price of a new style RS-1.
Except...isn't it the same exact headphone, other than cosmetically? Has anyone reported any audible differences yet?

(ducks behind rock)

Except...isn't it the same exact headphone, other than cosmetically? Has anyone reported any audible differences yet?

(ducks behind rock)

As we all know, once a flagship headphone is no longer in production it automatically becomes 10 times better than whatever the company is currently producing.

cue every owner of vintage RS-1s claiming vast sonic differences

I'm almost tempted to sock away a bunch of the old style RS-1's, then use my dummy accounts on Head-fi to shill the crap out of them. Write a couple "reviews", derail a bunch of Grado threads, that kinda stuff. Then in a few year I sell my RS-1's for twice what I paid for them.

Heres a fun post by Vka on head-fi:

Ok, more on the quality control issue. Besides many MSP sounding different, I also encountered 4 pairs of RS-1 that also sounded different.

1) RS-1 Holmes Powell modded intended for DCT-1 used by Yohan

2) RS-1 broken in by Vertigo

3) RS-1 brand new but broken in for a few month

4) RS-1 2 years old

Of all the RS-1s I heard, the DCT-1 modded RS-1 sounded the most coloured. The bass went real deep and the sound was "honey" and treble VERY warm having that sparkle. Coupled with the DCT-1, it was a truely magical. I was suppose to buy that modded pair but Yohan already sold it.

The pair by Vertigo sounded also warm but the bass did not resolve as well, more boomy not as tight and the treble more forward. This pair I found the treble warm.

Now, the last two pair was really weird as I found the treble to be unbearably bright (kind of thin) similar to the early MSPs I had. This tilt in treble was totally different than the previous two pairs.

Anyways, lets continue on quality control while we are on this issue. I have owned MANY many pairs of HP-1000s Hp-1/2s and ALL OF THEM sound 99% identically the same from each other. While some may have the newer cable "ultra fast bandwidth", the sound is still a HP-1000s sound being not much different except a tad brighter.

In the past, I thought of buying a RS-1 and having a Holmes Powell mod on it but I was too afraid of the quality control issue of my previous experiences with RS-1....

Shang-Ti Chen,

I think if I were you, I plunk down the money on HP-1000s and give them a try. Be prepare to give them a good amp as they are more amp picky I found than RS-1 and MSP and also harder to drive. On cheap bad amps, the HP-1000 can sound extremely neutral and boring alas. I remember someone who sold his HP-1000s to to buy W2002s because in his system the W2002 sounded better. When he came over to try the HP-2 and W2002 in my DCT-1 system, if my memory serves correct, he could not believe the HP-2 could sound like this and prefer it much over W2002 in my system. Its too bad because we all know the HP-1000 is worth alot more than the W2002 but he sold them for much less than what the W2002s worth. Of course in the end he prefered R-10 so it did not matter as that became his ultimate dynamic headphone. Of course, I prefered the HP-1000s over R-10 for pop, so I sold the R-10s in the end....

Biggie.

You guys made me join by reading these posts. Im the dude who sold the Vintage RS-1 on Head-fi. It actually went for $1650 in the end to some headfier in San Fran. More interestingly we simultaneously emailed each him offering me $1700 while I was emailing him back with $1650 so it couldve went for even more. More ridiculously there was another headfier in Denmark who was hoping that the deal with this guy fell thru so he could jump on them and this was all later in the day because i had 3 more offers of 1500 plus earlier that people bailed on. I am just relaying what other collectors were telling me (regarding the price) I took them to the city to a couple of guys that i imagine know more than me and both told me that i should never ever sell them because of the condition they were in and that they should fetch over $1500 if i did so what the hell was i suppose to do????(one guy actually wanted to trade me a pair of his HP1s but i didn't like the condition they were in).

When i put up the IC on headfi I recieved about 60 PMs in a couple of hours 5 offers were over $1500 and one finally stuck at $1650. The way things were going they probably couldve easily went for $2000. Im a straight cat and explained what was going on to the buyer and that i bought them for virtually nothing ($450) thinking they were just regular RS1s but then had them looked at and told they were a lot more. In the end i kinda feel sorry that i let them go cuz in all reality they were beautiful. Trust me when i tell you that he will have no problems selling them for more. is it all crazy? FU*K YEAH! and im pretty sure that he;ll pop his head up on headfi flaunting them proudly. Like i said i don't know, but they did sell for that much and in no way is this BS as mentioned here. maybe there are diamonds or something in there that i got no clue about but none the less they were sold for $1650 and please remember that they went in less than a day so who the hell knows if i wouldve waited. again im not trying to be an ass here or rip anybody off but what was i suppose to do. somebody tells you something and when others are offering you that was i suppose to just turn my head and go and sell them for less. i am M. Nice but not that nice.