Ahhhh...Vintage RS-1's

recstar24

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW! and he proudly shows himself. Thnx and enjoy em! as was said some here won't believe you eitherway and then their are those with their vintage RS-1s who are quietly thinking to themselves. HOLY SHITBALLS! our RS-1s are worth some serious cheddar now! and they are WHY? cuz there were others who wanted them and were willing to pay and even trade their beloved HP1000s for them. Personally, i see more HPs the vintage RS1s going around.....

a general question about this: how do you tell vontage RS1s from the newer version / when is an RS1 officially vintage? is it only the wooden box and the brown haedband?

I am just asking, because the RS1 I recently heard looked different from all other Grados I knew (at least the box did); they had the usual black headband, but the box was a lot larger than the common 'pizzabox' (cardboard though) and had a green layer of cloth on the foam.

I am just asking, because the RS1 I recently heard looked different from all other Grados I knew (at least the box did); they had the usual black headband, but the box was a lot larger than the common 'pizzabox' (cardboard though) and had a green layer of cloth on the foam.

Thats the first version of rs-1 I had. That rs-1 was made sometime in 2000 I believe . I was the 2nd owner. My latest pair is black headband with wooden box. Not sure what year they were made, but they do look older than the first pair I owned.

Biggie.

from what i know (which isn't that much) there is the brown headband, no serial number, black mesh covering the drivers instead of the white. metal tips on the cupholders instead of the plastic they use 2day. i believe the really old ones didnt even come in a wooden box. some have gold letterings on the (L) and ® instead of silver. some even have a pinkish tint when looking in the driver like mine did which some people said was something but i forgot what. eitherway it's all mystery and varies which makes it cool!

Well my first ps-1 drivers had a pinkish hue, but some of the later ones did not (I had all kinds of problems getting working drivers in my ps-1's). It was explained to me why they were pink by a speaker manufacturer, but I can't remember now. Nothing to do with the vintage of the headphone however.

I'm also curious where you read that some of the older rs-1's didn't come with any box?

Biggie.

Thats the first version of rs-1 I had. That rs-1 was made sometime in 2000 I believe . I was the 2nd owner. My latest pair is black headband with wooden box. Not sure what year they were made, but they do look older than the first pair I owned.

Biggie.

Can't edit my post, so I'll just quote myself. Those rs-1's were from 2001, not 2000. And grado started shipping that style of box post 9-11.

Biggie.

It seems like sales on vintage rs-1's is popping up more now than before, wonder why......

Well i was lucky enough to get hold of one myself few days ago after month's of search :D

ATT000011.jpg

ATT000021.jpg

ATT000041.jpg?t=1197324538

Gold R and L

Black mesh

Brown headband

Steel rod cups

Rare front on center badge

Original buyers recite

The Grado Warranty paper

White Grado outer box

Flats

Bought the in the same week it were in the stores i was told..

And for those who wonder what the different in looks are, here are 2 pics for illustration..

My semi-vintage RS-1 whit black headband, no numbered, plastic rod caps, white mesh, silver R and L, no wood box, bowls.

DSCN0634.jpg

And the vintage RS-1 as described above.

ATT000041.jpg?t=1197324538

BTW, I would easily lay more cash on the table for these than i did for my hp-2's..

did you try them with flats Clony?

They are still in usa, as they will be shipped one of these days.

I have tried my "semi-vintage" rs-1's on flats, and i liked it, but as these were sold and designed whit bowls, then they will stay that way.

As for the vintage rs-1 are absolutely going whit flats :)

They are still in usa, as they will be shipped one of these days.

I have tried my "semi-vintage" rs-1's on flats, and i liked it, but as these were sold and designed whit bowls, then they will stay that way.

As for the vintage rs-1 are absolutely going whit flats :)

Not designed with bowls.

so the pics you just showed are the semi-vintage right?

mhm, i think they were at the beginning of when they numbered them. so i think there are no other difference between my semivintage and the new ones in shops today (and then i dont mean the newstyle non button ones..)