CEC DA53

grawk

• 2 weeks later...

got the DA53 about a week ago. haven't really taken the time yet to do much in terms of a review, comparisons, or even a nice impression of it, but I do like it. I might work on a review later, but I will put up pictures of it (including pictures of the inside) later for sure.

• 3 weeks later...

SO.... where is the promised info and pics? You certainly have some interesting DACs in the house that would make for an interesting comparison. :)

I'm lazy. :) I'll try to get out some impressions on it, but I'm also going to try and have NeilPeart borrow it so he can bring it to that meet over on your side of the coast in a couple of weeks. then you can compare it all you want with the other DACs present yourself. ;)

so the CEC DA53 is not here anymore... it's in the hands of NeilPeart who'll bring it to that thing over in NYC that's happening next weekend so it'll get more exposure and stuff like that. ;)

my way of trying to get out of writing reviews or more impressions. ;D maybe NeilPeart will even provide some thoughts on it too. ;D

• 1 month later...

NeilPeart still has it. supposedly he didn't put it out at the meet since something was rattling inside (I think the red plastic cover on the modules they have inside came loose? doubt it would have been a problem). I think he said that once he finds a hex wrench he'll take a look inside then use it, but haven't heard any updates on that.

It's still loose but I suspect Alex was right: the noise was not serious (have yet to locate appropriate tool to verify). The DAC sounds great but requires an external amp (currently using my M-cubed). It has responded favorably to power regeneration and the various inputs do sound slightly different (compared USB, AES/XLR, SPDIF & TOSLINK via RME Digi 96/8 PAD). I wish I still had the DAC1 for comparison sake or knew someone with a Lavry DA10. For that matter I wish we had more time at the National Meet and I wasn't so afraid about potentially damaging Alex's gear! ;) Right now I'm enjoying the DA53 with the various 'phones at my disposal (W11JPN, MS-Pro, RS-1, K1000, DT880 v2006, K701 & K271). Any Bay Area 'phone nut with a GS-1000 is welcome - I never had much opportunity to compare GS-1000 with other woody Grados at the Meet. Have you returned from Japan, Alex?

It's still loose but I suspect Alex was right: the noise was not serious (have yet to locate appropriate tool to verify). The DAC sounds great but requires an external amp (currently using my M-cubed). It has responded favorably to power regeneration and the various inputs do sound slightly different (compared USB, AES/XLR, SPDIF & TOSLINK via RME Digi 96/8 PAD). I wish I still had the DAC1 for comparison sake or knew someone with a Lavry DA10. For that matter I wish we had more time at the National Meet and I wasn't so afraid about potentially damaging Alex's gear! ;) Right now I'm enjoying the DA53 with the various 'phones at my disposal (W11JPN, MS-Pro, RS-1, K1000, DT880 v2006, K701 & K271). Any Bay Area 'phone nut with a GS-1000 is welcome - I never had much opportunity to compare GS-1000 with other woody Grados at the Meet. Have you returned from Japan, Alex?

So which input option do you prefer, and why?

• 2 years later...
And this is practically the only area in which the AQVOX has a real advantage (depending on who you ask) compared to the CEC, since it allows bypassing the internal upsamling before the D/A conversion takes place.

Is there a possibility that the analog stage is not the same with these dacs? Or do they sound identical?

By the way, If I get a CEC now, will it sound like the aqvox mk1 or mk2