Omega watch advice?

deepak

I think it's time to retire my crappy digital watch, so after some light research it seems an Omega should be a decent middle ground watch for the mean time.

But I still don't know much about its movement, and I don't really want to start poking around on watch forums :P

Is it possible to get an Omega (basic stainless steel) for around $1300 new, preferably from an AD? How frequently will they need to be serviced? How durable is the watch face? I should add, that I prefer a conservative look, one that will go well with slacks/shirt and tie, scrubs, jeans, etc.

Any other recommendations or advice about these watches or any others in my price range? Thanks guys.

I think it's time to retire my crappy digital watch, so after some light research it seems an Omega should be a decent middle ground watch for the mean time.

But I still don't know much about its movement, and I don't really want to start poking around on watch forums :P

Is it possible to get an Omega (basic stainless steel) for around $1300 new, preferably from an AD? How frequently will they need to be serviced? How durable is the watch face? I should add, that I prefer a conservative look, one that will go well with slacks/shirt and tie, scrubs, jeans, etc.

Any other recommendations or advice about these watches or any others in my price range? Thanks guys.

You can get breitlings and omegas in your price range at costco. Look good, run well, are durable. Modern watches are pretty darn reliable. The sapphire crystals both use are very durable, and are the main thing you get as a benefit when going to high line watches.

You can get breitlings and omegas in your price range at costco. Look good, run well, are durable. Modern watches are pretty darn reliable. The sapphire crystals both use are very durable, and are the main thing you get as a benefit when going to high line watches.

Thanks, I ruled out Breitling because I prefer a much simpler look (though they do have some nice non-chrono watches).

Something like a Seamaster Aqua Terra (plain face) blue or black is the look I like.

If you go local AD on Omega look to spend (at best) 15% off of retail (plus taxs). You can also go grey market Omega's and get 20 or maybe 30% off of retail. Costco's prices are on par with local ad's but sometimes Costco won't budge on retail..which is bullshit. I know Breitling has a owners club when you buy from a local AD Breitling sends you free gifts. ( i got a hat and a box of chocolates), not sure about Omega though. another plus to a local AD is 12 months same as cash (most AD's will have this), why use money now when you can borrow it for free..?...

Omega's are nice watches. you are looking at a Quartz movement in that price range though (maybe you want one). movements will be from ETA which is owned by Swatch (same company who owns Omega, Tissot,).

not sure what is in the $1300.00 mark for omega but there are lots of nice brands for that price. Sinn, Ocean7, Raymond Weil, BAUME & MERCIER, Oris and Tissot to name a few..but I think Omega is the highest brand name in the bunch (all use the same movements though..mostly).

I was going to tell you about the Authentic site and the black sea master..ha

i think the "bond" labeled stuff is the blue watches, they did have a real deal bond sea master with the co axial movement and 007 on the second hand (also made a planet ocean in 007 form).

I would personally go with automatics from now on, no more Quartz for me.

again when you go looking at AD's make sure your getting 15% off or greater (i have not seen greater but then again i have not really looked for it).

I would personally go with automatics from now on, no more Quartz for me.

Definitely makes sense, the more I thought about it, felt so wrong paying so much for one.

But if I don't like the 300M I doubt I'll get a watch (for the moment), north of $2000 is just too much money.

Yup I agree, there are some nice automatics in the $1500ish range as well.

If I can try on the Seamaster with the large numerical set dial and I like it I will more than likely go with it, auto at $1600.

Hi deepak

I'm in the middle of writing a presentation for my wife's business, and saw you post so I have to make this fast.

The Omega Seamaster is a tremendous watch and the one I wear the most often for its comfort and durability. There are many watches to choose from in this price range, but you won't go wrong with the Seamaster.

Here's some shots of mine with the Speedy bracelet

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

here's some of the quartz version with a Bond bracelet, note the incredibly thick lume on this one

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

a catalog shot, the top one is the Bond version

orig.jpg

at the last NY meet next to the Pico

standard.jpg

and I always choose wearing the Seamaster over my

orig.jpg

FYI, my Seamaster runs 4 sec. slow/day, the quartz one is spot on and the Sub runs 11 sec. fast/day.

USG