Photoshop-like program for free?

Sounds like someone hasn't taken the time to learn how to use Gimp. :P

I am all for open source software, but that doesn't mean it is best. I keep a computer around with XP on it, JUST for Lightroom and photoshop CS3. There isn't anything better than those adobe products. Bar None. Gimp can try, but it cannot hold a candle. Maybe with a few more years of dev, it can compete with what PS has NOW.

I am all for open source software, but that doesn't mean it is best. I keep a computer around with XP on it, JUST for Lightroom and photoshop CS3. There isn't anything better than those adobe products. Bar None. Gimp can try, but it cannot hold a candle. Maybe with a few more years of dev, it can compete with what PS has NOW.

apple aperture is better than lightroom. But doesn't run on XP :) And aperture is good.

Isn't that always the case. Open source software is only free if your time has no value.

Huh? Photoshop isnt easy to learn either buddy. :P

As for Gimp having limited functionality... I guess I'm not using either piece of software for as advanced purposes as you, because I haven't noticed it.

I've tried it before, and I plan on giving it a more thorough audition this break. The things I really rely on in Bibble aside from standard adjusments are integrated Noise Ninja, a third-party plugin that does skin tone correction, and on occasion the healing brush. Doing these in RAW instead of PS is so much better. Also, LR seemed a bit slower, and the cropping was weird when I tried it. I doubt I'd use LR to replace Breezebrowser for tagging/captioning, either.

I admit I kind of go against the grain for photo software- everyone's god in the newspaper/wire world is Photo Mechanic, and I absolutely hate it.