Squeezebox or Sound Card

tkam

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've given this a fair amount of thought and having spent devices that did not offer as complete a hierarchical setup the browsing is actually more complex and cumbersome on the "simpler" device.

Nate, have you tried the Sonos product? It looks like it has a "better" interface, but at a much higher price point. I haven't had a chance to try it.

Or, you could just get yourself a Transporter and mod the hell out of it. >:D

Nah, before I did that I'd just build a custom enclosure for an SB-3 coupled with the Hertsens DAC plus another sigma11 for the SB. Don't think the thought hasn't crossed my mind to build a Transporter killer. For now this stack does just fine.

medium.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Nate, I'm pretty sure I read a post where you said the SB3 was an average transport at best. I've been thinking of getting one (still kicking myself for missing out on tyrion's). Have you ever compared the SB3 to the CD73 for transport duties?

I'm currently using my iRiver H140 with my VDA-2, but it's not a good transport. The iRiver SlimX sounds better as a transport than the H140 (ALAC files).

Nate, I'm pretty sure I read a post where you said the SB3 was an average transport at best. I've been thinking of getting one (still kicking myself for missing out on tyrion's). Have you ever compared the SB3 to the CD73 for transport duties?

I haven't, but I have stuff setup right now to do a couple of transport, source comparisons so I'll get on that. I'd wager that what you read was something about the SB3 being a pretty average stand-alone source, I don't really ever remember talking about it as a transport.

Have had the SB3 setup for a few days now and I've using the latest beta of the Squeeze Center 7 and it seems much more responsive than I remember the older versions of Slim Server being. Of course I'm still mostly using the remote and devices interface directly.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently lusting after the SB-duet, solves my issues with one device.

The remote does look pretty slick but I don't like that the main device/base unit doesn't have any display at all. Thats a total deal breaker for me.

The remote does look pretty slick but I don't like that the main device/base unit doesn't have any display at all. Thats a total deal breaker for me.

Same here.

Agreed, it would be best if it worked as a remote for any Squeezebox device, which it might, I can't remember.

It does, but it costs $300. For that price, I'd rather just grab another SB3.