Fuck in snow

Salt Peanuts

After two pretty hard winters here in the UK (we're talking maybe a week of deep snow, and maybe -10C) this one is crazy mild. It is 11C at the moment. Not one single flake of snow this winter.

That will remain the case unless the saline pump just off the arctic doesn't fail. Drives warm water from South America and the Carribbean to wash our Western shore, and stops us getting too cold. If/when it fails, we'll be the same temperature as places on the same latitude like Calgary and Irkutsk, and we'll freeze our nuts off - our homes aren't built to cope with those conditions.

The last two winters here, in Latvia were really good (natural) as well with lots of snow for three months and temperatures occasionally below -20°C. This winter is a joke. We just had our first major snow and now after three days it's melting off. Instead we are getting very high winds. I guess that we'll save money on heating and road maintenance.

We had some melt and refreeze yesterday. News last night had lots of trees down, including on the major highways. The power company estimated a quarter million without power. In spite of all that, my company is somehow open today so I get to hike to the bus stop again. Whee.

We've had an unusually warm winter recently, with no New Year's snow. However the forecast is saying it going to get down to freezing temperatures from tomorrow. At least we haven't had the threatening snow clouds we had early in December, yet. Thankfully things don't fall apart with snow, except if there is a lot of it and the trains and highways shut down, then it's impossible to drive anywhere.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Figured one of us MA locals would bring this back. Came home early today, it was a wasted effort to leave early but allowed me to get things done in peace and quiet. So far (as of 6pm EST), very little if any accumulation on roads, all melting. Expect that to change at night. My son is hoping, praying, begging some unknown deity for no school tomorrow.

My son is hoping, praying, begging some unknown deity for no school tomorrow.

A snow day, unfortunately, means means nothing to me since I don't get them (damn, private residential year-round school), though my wife would (she teaches in public school).

Speaking of snow, I saw more than few cars on my morning commute today packed with ski/snowboard gears heading north. I wonder how many folks called-in for impromptu days off to take advantage of real snow.

Edited by Salt Peanuts

Yesterday, I did a motorcycle ride on the ridge road in the hills (3200') behind Santa Barbara. It was cold here in SB the night before and we got a little rain. Still, I was very surprised to see some snow on the north-facing slopes along along the way. I was about 40 during the ride and a balmy 60 back in SB.