Fuck in snow

Salt Peanuts

Maybe just a plain old space heater. If you're worried about fires, the oil filled radiators with safety circuits are pretty safe (I think). We have one and have had good luck with it. It heats more slowly, but is good at maintaining a temperature, and I think are safer than the ones that glow red hot.

http://www.amazon.com/DeLonghi-EW7707CM-Safeheat-ComforTemp-Oil-Filled/dp/B000TGDGLU/ref=pd_sbs_hg_1

• 2 weeks later...

^ The first 3 winters here (this is our 6th winter here), whoever the town had hired to do our street always did a fantastic job of not leaving us with ice/snow wall in front of our driveway.  In fact, if they saw us shoveling, they would often plow the snow out of the bottom ⅓ of our driveway.

Yeah, my old housemate had that sort of relationship with our plowdrivers, too...but you had to bribe them.  Which I had no problem doing.  But it was kind of extortion, because if you didn't bribe them, you were pretty much guaranteed.  And it seemed like they'd wait until I was done first.  Or maybe it just took them that long to get to our neighborhood.