Fuck in snow

Salt Peanuts

15 hours ago, n_maher said:

Sounds like a belt or pulley problem, Peter.  I'd definitely get it checked as having no charing or no power steering both sound like bad situations to me.

Yeah, the no power steering situation was kind of weird -- it's a straight shot down 395/95/Rt. 1 from my work to my home...up until that turn into the neighborhood, so I didn't fully understand what I was missing until I hit that turn...had to brake sharply.

Yes, I was thinking the same thing -- get it checked out anyway.

• 1 month later...

Yes - it has gone from seas of mud to seas of frozen mud. It is hovering around freezing just now, but for the next couple of days looks like sub-zero, snow and a high wind - with windchill -20C, which is getting dangerous. Coming in from Siberia, allegedly.

We're going to the Peak District on a long weekend walking on Friday, and hopefully by then it might have warmed up a bit. Or not.

http://www.mwis.org.uk/english-welsh-forecast.asp?fa=PD&d=2018-02-28

Paricularly: "Frequent snow; risk lightning. Whiteout." and "-7C: exceptionally cold. Will feel as cold as minus 22C directly in the wind" and "Unusually low mountain temperatures, and increasingly upland easterly gales Wednesday to Friday, will result in severe, perhaps extreme wind chill."

Edited by Craig Sawyers

Seems like a wise choice.  Hiking in those temps/winds is no joke with very little margin for error, if any.

We've been on an insane weather roller coaster here lately.  Last week we got snow one day and temps in the 60s two days later.  And again it snowed/sleeted most of the day yesterday and it's in the low 50s today.  There's definitely nothing wrong with the climate. :nate: 

What will ultimately screw us in our little island is failure of the North Atlantic saline heat pump. It is responsible for driving the gulf stream, which warms the waters around the UK. Now over "recent" geologic history it has failed in the past and triggered ice ages. The problem is that melting of the arctic ice is diluting the local saline concentration, with the risk that the pump fails. If it does (and measurements suggests it is only a matter of time) we will go down to the Winter temperature of areas on the same latitude - Moscow, Milwaukee and Sioux Falls.

Tomorrow's weather where I live. That is temperature in celcius - but the kicker is 44mph winds. Yes we have a screwy units system. We measure distance in metric unless it is road signs in miles and wind speed which in miles per hour. We buy shots and wine in metric, but beer in pints. And we buy petrol/gas in liters but the cars read consumption in miles per gallon. Go figure.

Anyway, it is set to be bloody cold tomorrow given windchill.

image.thumb.png.961eca5f3f615bc2479d2feca7c298b7.png

Edited by Craig Sawyers

That's warm by comparison to a visit I made there in January in the late 80's. I'd spent a week on business in Israel, where it was really nice, 20C, shirt sleeve weather. I then flew to Helsinki, changing planes in Frankfurt where it was snowing. At Helsinki I knew I was in trouble when locals were going to lockers and pulling out all sorts of thermal protection gear - fur boots and hat, leggings, and thermal gauntlets. Stepped outside into -40C (the same number in F - ie -40F). Even the Fins were in shock at that temperature - far lower than it normally is. My nose hairs froze, and my feet did not feel cold - the soles just started to hurt. The taxi has 6mm of ice on the *inside* of the windows. Totally surreal.

Our local marketer then took me to a sauna. So in a single day I went from +20C to -40C to +100C. A very strange day.

This is insane. Not only is it -10C and snowing, there is a storm coming in out of the Atlantic which, when the moist air hits the icy blast from Siberia will first give blizzard conditions, then at is warms, freezing rain - so a mini ice storm.

Splendid. March 1st - what on earth is going on?