Fuck in snow

Salt Peanuts

Thanks all! We aren't as bad off as others, it's easy to keep things in perspective. At the hotel now, after a warm and comfy night's sleep.

We found my mother-in-law's place has power, and I believe our place does too now; we'll check after we leave the hotel.

Cleanup and replacing food are the next tasks. But everyone is OK, that's the best thing. Wishing good thoughts for others!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• Like 9

We lost power for about 12 hours which is nothing, all things considered, and we've got the generator/transfer-switch so it was really only out for 4 hours because I didn't feel like setting it all up at 2:30am when it went out.  Still, a freak storm.  I went to bed at 11pm and at that point we had maybe 2-3" of snow.  Got up a little after 6 to start cleaning the driveway and setup temp power.  We had 16"+ at that point and it was still coming down.  I finally made it into work at 11am, where we were running on self-generated power.  Some lines not far outside the base came down and landed on rail road lines and made for quite the lightning show for the local residents.  Everything is pretty much back to normal around us at this point but there will be significant yard cleanup as the trees in the front yard took it on the chin again.

MFlQoOJXTiuIIuWmqeTzKw.thumb.jpg.770d936bb6da4763c602e8d4ff568c40.jpg

Lily and I made the best of it yesterday afternoon and went out for about a mile and a half snow shoe in the woods.

Wp0T0iK7Sd6EkAhkVMhXUA.thumb.jpg.7ec3daad34884562f9d3fa8aef8a61cf.jpg

• Like 10

9 minutes ago, Dusty Chalk said:

You know, that's the difference between New England residents and DC area residents -- you all know how to handle the weather.  Cheers to that.

While I cannot speak to the rest of New England, having spent winters in Minnesota, Wisconsin, and upstate NY, I can say that people in Connecticut* cannot handle their weather.

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, dsavitsk said:

While I cannot speak to the rest of New England, having spent winters in Minnesota, Wisconsin, and upstate NY, I can say that people in Connecticut* cannot handle their weather.

If you want inability to cope with snow, the south of England takes the prize. It can be many years between proper snowfalls, so it's cheaper to just grind to a halt occasionally than build infrastructure to cope. This is almost literally true:

Edited by Kattefjaes
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

This storm has gone from entertaining to borderline scary.  We got about 12" throughout the day of reasonably light, fluffy stuff.  I went out to clear off the driveway as the forecast was calling for another 3-5" overnight and anything over a foot gets problematic, even with a tractor-mounted snow blower.  It was still snowing when I started, but not hard.  About a half hour into clearing it started to pick up and got crazy.  I'd wager we got at least another 3" of snow in the next 30-45 minutes while I finished clearing the driveway and helped the neighbor do his.  It's calmed back down but the drift on my deck is legitimately 12" higher than it was two hours ago.  Hopefully it'll start to wind down...

Oh, and I talked to a friend who's another 10 miles or so inland, they have 22" of snow and it's still coming down hard there.

• Sad 3

Good luck Nate!  We have probably about 18", thankfully we still have power.  Right before the storm I cleared out some more branches from one side of our driveway, and this allowed our plow to do a good first run.  Andrew did a bit of shoveling, will finish tomorrow morning so we can get our washer and dryer delivered....

Crazy days.