Fuck in snow

Salt Peanuts

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Apparently latest forecast is 8-14" for us here in NE Mass. (originally was going to be less with the storm more South....something like 3-6")  EDIT: another site says 6-12", maybe with my specific area just outside the heavier range....

This neighbor's tree is the one my wife called the Charlie Brown tree, it was very small and bare when we moved in.

Charlie Brown Tree Grown Up.jpg

image.png.fc8db7b37d1ee0227e52580146360171.png

Edited by skullguise
  • Like 3

We've gotten pretty steady snow so far this morning in south-eastern NH, probably 4" or more and it's still going.  Honestly, I'm glad.  Winters of shitty rainy weather with marginal snow are far more depressing than a proper kick-you-in-the-face brutally cold and snowy affair.  

• Like 5

Oddly enough I envy those on this list that get real snow and some chilly temperatures. In the UK snow is now a rarity, and it rarely gets below zero at all - perhaps a degree C or two overnight but that is it. Last year we got about 5mm snow for a day, then it melted next day.

The highlands of Scotland get some, but bugger all down South. Currently between 8C and 10C daytime temperature, which is bonkers for this time of year. The bloody rhubarb has started to grow!

There was a documentary series a few years back when the host visited the hottest, wettest and coldest places that were permanently occupied. The coldest place was somewhere in Siberia, where it would get down to below -60C. The kids did not get a day off school until it was lower than -40 (when C or F is the same). To get diesel vehicles going involved lighting a pan of warm fuel under the engine to warm it up enough to start.

To bury the dead in the permafrost, they had to light a fire on the ground and dig out a few inches. Repeat as necessary until the hole was deep enough. But the problem was the ground behaved so oddly between summer and winter that the coffins would resurface after some years. So there was a continuous process of reburying the dead.

• Like 1

I have gone to school in -38 f.

That's not the coldest weather I've been in though. That would be -65 f.

To be honest, once you get below -35 f, there doesn't seem to be a lot of difference. 

The boogers in your nose freeze, and kind of hurt. Your jaw muscles are the first to numb, and therefore your mouth opens. That causes you to breath through your mouth, which in turn causes your breath to freeze your eyelashes together. Breathing in air that cold absolutely hurts.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Craig Sawyers said:

To bury the dead in the permafrost, they had to light a fire on the ground and dig out a few inches. Repeat as necessary until the hole was deep enough. But the problem was the ground behaved so oddly between summer and winter that the coffins would resurface after some years. So there was a continuous process of reburying the dead.

Sounds like the picked the right name for global warming caused "Arctic Zombie Fires".