Fighting to defend christmas!

ph0rk

I guess everyone has a different idea of what is offensive... I just can't get worked up about silly declarations for this or that cause,

this or that religion, this or that ethnic holiday that Congress does all year long....

First, I'm not "worked up" about this. I merely posted a comment to the OP. No one asked you to get "worked up" about it. I respect the fact that it means nothing to you. Perhaps you should respect that fact that it may mean something to others rather than say they are thin skinned.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First, I'm not "worked up" about this. I merely posted a comment to the OP. No one asked you to get "worked up" about it. I respect the fact that it means nothing to you. Perhaps you should respect that fact that it may mean something to others rather than say they are thin skinned.

pfft...

Yes, I think it's offensive that we, the people, paid this asshat a minimum of $165,200 last year to tell me that Christmas is good.

I'm sure he did a lot more than that to offend you while making that salary...

Sounds like you'd make a good ron paul supporter...join us on the side of smaller government :)

The funny thing is nine people apposed that bill yet when it came to recognizing inslamic holidays in america it passed with flying colors.

help_oppressed.gif

Whether or not religious minorities need such resolutions, the majority sure as hell doesn't. It isn't as if the congressmen (or the rest of the country) forgot christmas was about to happen.

help_oppressed.gif

Whether or not religious minorities need such resolutions, the majority sure as hell doesn't. It isn't as if the congressmen (or the rest of the country) forgot christmas was about to happen.

So don't vote for them next time around. 80% of America considers themselves Christian so the resolution does make sense. Either way the government should not be involved this or 99% of the other things they are currently messing with. If a business or state/local govet wants to decorate for a holiday they should be free to do as they wish. It is freedom of religion not from religion. I have many towns around me that decorate for Jewish holidays and I as a Christian am not offended.

So don't vote for them next time around. 80% of America considers themselves Christian so the resolution does make sense. Either way the government should not be involved this or 99% of the other things they are currently messing with. If a business or state/local govet wants to decorate for a holiday they should be free to do as they wish. It is freedom of religion not from religion. I have many towns around me that decorate for Jewish holidays and I as a Christian am not offended.

We try to vote them out but have you had a look at the pie chart? I have no problem with anyone decorating their houses at Christmas. Same applies to businesses. It's when the government is involved that I am bothered. What does the fact that 80% of America considers themselves Christian cause the resolution to make sense? How can it ever make sense for a government that should be staying out of the religion business to be passing resolutions supporting religions?

We try to vote them out but have you had a look at the pie chart? I have no problem with anyone decorating their houses at Christmas. Same applies to businesses. It's when the government is involved that I am bothered. What does the fact that 80% of America considers themselves Christian cause the resolution to make sense? How can it ever make sense for a government that should be staying out of the religion business to be passing resolutions supporting religions?

It makes sense from a business aspect for the politicians to do it... The Christian vote is a rather large one and well stuff like this will help them keep their jobs.

It makes sense from a business aspect for the politicians to do it... The Christian vote is a rather large one and well stuff like this will help them keep their jobs.

I made the mistake of thinking you were saying it made sense to you. However, if that were the reason then why do one for Islam? I guess that is certainly one possible reason for it, which is unfortuante, like so many other unfortunate things that takes place in our governement.

I made the mistake of thinking you were saying it made sense to you. However, if that were the reason then why do one for Islam? I guess that is certainly one possible reason for it, which is unfortuante, like so many other unfortunate things that takes place in our governement.

The islamic one is done for a different reason: to show that we really don't have a problem with islam. What's telling is that more people in congress are willing to say they have no problem with islam than to say they don't have a problem with christianity.

The islamic one is done for a different reason: to show that we really don't have a problem with islam. What's telling is that more people in congress are willing to say they have no problem with islam than to say they don't have a problem with christianity.

What is telling is how ridiculous all these resolutions are.

What is telling is how ridiculous all these resolutions are.

Sure, throw the bums out for making pointless gestures.

Now then, since we can't do that, since all politicians make pointless gestures, just ignore them, and get mad at them for what they do that isn't pointless. Take your pick on the issues, I'm sure you've got a few that really polarize how you feel. The other guys are bums for supporting X, and not Y. I think the guys who support X rock, but the Y guys should be shot on sight. What really happens tho is they publicize the issues that polarize people, while agreeing in private to support each other's private pork barrel, and the government works the way it always will.

I recall reading something about this where similar resolutions were already passed for both Islamic and Hindu holidays, so it might not be just an "Islam is OK" thing. It's only fair to do the same thing for Christianity. All the resolutions are dumb, but if you're going to do it, finish the job.

And while the pie chart is meant to be mocking, its actually pretty damn true in some circles.

Yeah, this is just another thing for the MCs to put on their r?sum?s so that their respective electorates will be even more inclined to vote them in than they already are (99% incumbency rate in the House). The fact that the vast majority of this country is Christian has absolutely no bearing on whether or not this is OK -- it makes sense from a political standpoint, but not a legislative standpoint (obviously). Since House members are re-elected every two years, they constantly have to worry about keeping the electorate happy, and so they pass this sort of crap all the time. It will probably stew in the Senate for awhile since it's not quite as important for them, what with their six-year terms. What really scares me is some of the bill's original text, which has been since nixed:

"Whereas identify themselves as those who believe in the salvation from sin offered to them through the sacrifice of their savior, Jesus Christ, the Son of God, and who, out of gratitude for the gift of salvation, commit themselves to living their lives in accordance with the teachings of the Holy Bible;Whereas Christians Christians and Christianity have contributed greatly to the development of western civilization;"

:o

Oh, and as far as unfortunate truncation goes, check out the title of this thread on the recent thread list on the right. ;D