MPX3 Preamp Use

n_maher

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

seems reasonable. I was thinking about something like a 12AY7 driver tube into a pair of 6BX7s. Just curious, do you actually mean the 6BL7GT or perhaps the GTA? If the former, then you're probably the only person I've met that has recommended these tubes. I love 'em, no one else will try them :)

Hmm, I cannot recall. ??? I will take a look at what I have in the tube caddy and report back.

If I were you I'd ditch that stupid fraken locking phono jack. Man I hate those things...

d00d if that was my MPX3, I'd have far far huger issues than a locking jack... like the tiny tranny and caps and the Electro Harmonix tubes :stick:

I'm assuming post innard pics is acceptable / required around here? I don't even have one of those witty title things under my handle...

Guest sacd lover

Hmm, I cannot recall. ??? I will take a look at what I have in the tube caddy and report back.

No one recommends them because they are very difficult to find. I had about 30 I traded to Mikhail. PFKMan 23 is one of the few who has some of the 6bl7gt's.

seems reasonable. I was thinking about something like a 12AY7 driver tube into a pair of 6BX7s. Just curious, do you actually mean the 6BL7GT or perhaps the GTA? If the former, then you're probably the only person I've met that has recommended these tubes. I love 'em, no one else will try them :)

No one recommends them because they are very difficult to find. I had about 30 I traded to Mikhail. PFKMan 23 is one of the few who has some of the 6bl7gt's.

I checked and mine are 6BL7GTAs as you suspected. Maybe I need to get some of George's GTs before he sells his MPX3. George, are you reading this? Do you have 4 you could sell separately?

Maybe I need to get some of George's GTs before he sells his MPX3.

well, it's all a preference thing really... My MPX3 SE is somewhat of a one-off to support this tube. It's in between the "high" and "low" options you see on all the MPX3's with switches in the back. This is where this tube is most comfortable. I think there was maybe one more "switch-less" MPX3 SE out there, I'm not sure though. On the regular high setting it's a bit slow and dark, so you'll have to choose your input tube with care. Amperex 7062 is a great choice, as is the 2c51. It really opens up the door for several input tubes that you may not have cared for with the 6BL7GTA and perhaps even with the 6BX7GT tubes.

They are a bit challenging to find... but very possible. I've squirreled away a dozen or so, and know a guy who is sitting on stash of them but is too lazy to sort through them for me... There is a pair on the 'bay now, for what I'd consider an outrageous price... but they are construction matched pairs and from one of the more reputable Ebay dealers.

I have 3 or 4 6BL7GT tubes. In my old MPX3 SLAM XLR (not the SE model) I preferred 6BX7GT tubes.

cool! I preferred the 6BX7GT tubes as well in my other MPX3 SE models. Problem I'm finding with the SP stuff is that the guts vary so much that this further complicates the whole recommendation process :) For a lot of people, I think swapping some caps out here and there would make more of an improvement then chasing after some long forgotten tubes :)

Thanks for the info. Do you know the voltage in your middle setting MPX3? My SDS-XLR has a tube regulated & rectified PS, so I can dial in a wide range of voltage settings. I already like the 2c51 with the 6BL7GTAs so I would be curious what the 6BL7GTs are like. As for the fancy pair on eBay, I need 4 so that won't help me much! :D

well, it's all a preference thing really... My MPX3 SE is somewhat of a one-off to support this tube. It's in between the "high" and "low" options you see on all the MPX3's with switches in the back. This is where this tube is most comfortable. I think there was maybe one more "switch-less" MPX3 SE out there, I'm not sure though. On the regular high setting it's a bit slow and dark, so you'll have to choose your input tube with care. Amperex 7062 is a great choice, as is the 2c51. It really opens up the door for several input tubes that you may not have cared for with the 6BL7GTA and perhaps even with the 6BX7GT tubes.

They are a bit challenging to find... but very possible. I've squirreled away a dozen or so, and know a guy who is sitting on stash of them but is too lazy to sort through them for me... There is a pair on the 'bay now, for what I'd consider an outrageous price... but they are construction matched pairs and from one of the more reputable Ebay dealers.