Opinions on design of D-I 16?

fierce_freak

Is it worth the cost? I thought that this whole TDA NOS dac business was just one of those weird money sink things that didn't really compare with more modern designs... though I could be [and frequently am] wrong. :)

I wonder if there are any DIY designs like that APO/NWO/whatever thing that everyone is talking about? Now that would be something. :prettyprincess:

Yeah, I'm not much a fan of the TDA's, but the design is intriguing enough for me to wonder...

I'll probably stick with the Opus for now, since it's tits, but I'll always keep my ear to the ground for something new.

well, read the 1700+ replies to the build/design thread and I think you'll be able to come to a better opinion :)

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=79452

It's hard enough to get TDA1541as (the MI8 whatever)... gee, I only have to come up with 8 of them? Oh, I need to match them? (not sure whether you do or not). But yeah, he does seem to know what he's doing. I can't comment on the NOS thing since I've never really listened to one... intuition and things I've read tells me no, but...

• 1 month later...

Yeah, I'm not much a fan of the TDA's, but the design is intriguing enough for me to wonder...

I'll probably stick with the Opus for now, since it's tits, but I'll always keep my ear to the ground for something new.

I've been babysitting some toys for a friend, and I've had the opportunity to A/B my Zapfiltered, dual differential "Epic Opus" against his Lavry DA10. The Opus is the clear winner. Better air, dynamics, soundstage and bass slam. Not really even a close call. Not sure if there are enough of these out there to garner many impressions yet, but it's a serious contender.

I think you'll enjoy listening to Al's Twisted Pear stuff as well as Al's new source. Sadly, my DI DAC (the topic of this thread) will not be done by then, and even if it did I'd need a transport (that one you have probably would work nicely, after I did a few mods here and there ...)

Actually, perhaps nate will see this. Do you know the transport (and more importantly) the decoder chip (SAAxxxx) used in that transport you made? Perhaps you have some pics of the insides somewhere?

Do you know the transport

Phillips CDM12 according to the designer.

the decoder chip (SAAxxxx) used in that transport you made?

No clue.

Perhaps you have some pics of the insides somewhere?

I'd suggest digging through this and seeing if you can find what you're looking for. I'll see if I still have any of the other info that the man'f provided with the kit and get back to you.