Music Matters Blue Note 45RPM Definitive Issues (Hoffman etc)

postjack

I know I'll be picking up a select few of these. I'm crazy, but not crazy enough to purchase a full subscription.

Six upcoming titles

Complete 63 Title Release Schedule

Anyone have any suggestions on which titles are real gooduns? The only one I'm 100% that I'll be purchasing is Johnny Griffin - The Congregation.

moderator suggestion: make you links work!

My buddy turned me on to this set:

http://store.acousticsounds.com/bestjazzever.cfm

I am listening to a Bill Evans vinyl rip sample right now. Magnificent. :popcorn:

From what I understand, this whole series is also Hoffman stuff. Just a different label. They release 2 per month, in increments of 25. .....Looks like Im going to be buying a lot of vinyl lol.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I decided to preorder Big Beat from this batch. I'll judge from that whether it's worth investing in any others.

I'm a sucker for the sonics of Blakey's drumming though. The MFSL of Tunisia... WOW. :dance:

Very interested in hearing your impressions on this Hoffman series.

Let us know what you think when you get a chance to listen to this initial release. I'd like to have some of these myself, actually I'd like to have the whole series of 63 albums. ;D

Very interested in hearing your impressions on this Hoffman series.

Let us know what you think when you get a chance to listen to this initial release. I'd like to have some of these myself, actually I'd like to have the whole series of 63 albums. ;D

I haven't received my Blakey yet, but I did purchase two albums from the previous Hoffman/Grey/Acoustech jazz reissue project, the Fantasy 45 series.

Eric Dolphy - Outward Bound: Surprisingly bright and a little thin sounding. Maybe more do to bad recording then bad mastering? Without another point of reference (I have never heard this album in another format), its difficult to say. The drums have a nice satisfying crack though, typical Hoffman sense of space/breathe of life to the recording. The music itself is badass, but if I want that Dolphy sound, I will much quicker turn toward my K2 20bit Far Cry. I cannot recommend this title.

Theolonius Monk - Monk's Music: This one sounds absolutely superb, and I can recommend it both sonically and of course musically. Unfortunately the first LP had a significant warp in it. :mikey2: Of course now I read complaints about problems with RTI pressings over on the Vinyl Asylum (not just warps, but off center spindle holes as well). Hate to :horsey:, but its fucking ridiculous to pay $50 for two slabs of vinyl that aren't defect free. I'm waiting to hear back from Acoustic Sounds about a replacement. I'm sure it won't be a problem getting a new copy, but its still a pain in the ass for me to have to ship this thing back to the merchant.

I've never had issues with Acoustech cut, RTI pressed vinyl before, and I've owned several, all of them defect free planks. Still, my experience with the above two jazz reissues hasn't been pleasant.

postjack

Thanks for the info, although this not what I wanted to hear :(

I seriously kicked around the thought of subscribing to the new Blue Note series, I decided against it. I''m going to wait for individual reviews and select some purchases wisely. Sad to hear about the quality of the Dolphy release, would definitely like to see some fine remastered vinyl of his released. ;D