The problem with the Woo Audio 3ES

spritzer

The Koss unit draws 9W from the wall, max so factor in PSU losses, very high rail voltages, that you driving 4 amplifier channels and yup, there is not a lot of power there. 

So Woo has a new electrostatic amp out, WA7e... who wants to guess that it is a tube pre driving some Apex modules? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@Ciggavelli did you ask Woo about their 3ES amp and their false advertising?

I did. He confirmed it’s not a 300B output. He said the 300B isn’t powerful enough so it needed a Mosfat for the output, but I’m not really sure what that means.

reference:

CanJam NYC 2023 Impressions Thread (February 25-26, 2023) | Page 16 | Headphone Reviews and Discussion - Head-Fi.org

so lets be specific

1) mosfet for output.  lets rephrase that. 4 x apex class C high voltage power opamps.

2) 300B not powerful enough?  pair of tubes is good for 18 watts. more than enough to damage your hearing.

All of my tube designs that use el34 you can substitute emission labs 300b. with an adapter and extra filament transformers. Works great. plenty of power. including bh, gg, t2 and megatron. and justin's grand cayman. just because jack does not know how to correctly design amplifiers with 300b...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Well he's right about one thing, a 6SN7 feeding a 300B hasn't got a hope in hell of driving electrostatics simply because of the voltage gain.  Why anybody would want to use 300B's for this role though when the 20B exists is beyond me. 

• 2 weeks later...

the owners of ray samuels audio will say their amp is the best. just ask them.

my favorites are

1) rudistor with the silver wire enhancement

2) singlepower es2 with the all tube regulated power supply

3) felista megatron. definitely

you are a moron. torus? you mean tuchas. and you must have a really big one.

Edited by kevin gilmore
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, spritzer said:

I must say this is a pretty shit attempt at trolling

1 hour ago, Knuckledragger said:

Well, usa_love is right about one thing.  Those Mjölnir Audio guys have a terrible reputation.  Especially on head-case.  Especially among the stats fanatics.  Especially in the Stax Mafia.  Which totally doesn't exist.

Do I have to put /s?  I feel like I have to put /s.

Now that is quality trolling, Knucks. USA_Cunt should take notes.

• Haha 1

• 7 months later...
2 hours ago, spritzer said:

Nope, I'm keeping it

To bad  I can't buy it - my only contact with Chinese products is through Aliexpress, but there are no such products there. Since you have it on your table, can you give me some details about its power section? What kind of system will be used, probably none of the modern dc/dc controllers. Maybe a similar system to the old SRM-252S?