HF-1 to RS-2 or RS-1?

The Monkey

I like my HF-1. Running balanced has given them some additional smoothness and horizontal extension. But I'm not in love with them. What do you folks think about the move to the RS-2 or RS-1? Would you consider those a significant step up?

Some people like rs1s and rs2s more than hf1s. You should try them before you buy them.

Yeah, I've read that and heard it somewhat under meet conditions. I enjoyed the RS-2, but listened a while ago, so another audition is necessary as suggested. Still interested in opinions, though.

I like rs1s better than my woodied hf1s for female jazz vocalists.

For everything else, I prefer the HF1s. Lots of people feel differently.

I've had the headphiled HF1 and RS1 at the same time - found that I was reaching for the RS1 a lot more than HHF1. For me, I enjoyed the greater detail and fulsome mid-range of RS1, so eventually HHF1 was sold. Currently my LIIIXP (also DHA3000) happen to have bass control adjustments, so I just crank that up with the RS1 and therefore negating any advantage the HF1 may have on RS1, ie bass.

the rs-1 would be closer tot he sound of your hf-1 so i would focus in trying those first.

hf-1's are based off the 225, the 225 and rs-1 are closer to each other in terms of mid range and a few other sonic signatures then any other Grados. the 325's and rs-2's are in the same boat as far as how they share their sonics.

another way of putting this is if you like the 325 sound then the rs-2 is your step up, if you like 225's then your step up is rs-1.

of course the hf-1 having some wood and being tuned right are closer to the rs-1 then the 225, and unlike the rs-1's and the 225's you don't need flat pads with the hf-1. John ships these cans with the right pads already in place.

try out rs-1's but only with flat pads, don't judge them until you heard them the way they were designed to be heard. if you heard the 325/ms2 cans before then imagine that sound a bit more lush and you will have the rs-2.

I started my journey with silver 325's so one of my personal favorite is naturally the rs-2's. I never could get into the rs-1's for a long time nor could i get into 225's. but i do love and respect their sound for what they do.

Care to share your source for that. My memory is that when the HF-1s were introduced this was the rumor but Grado shot it down and said that the HF-1s were in fact not based on the 225 driver.

In any case Billy's point remains, the HF-1 is more like the 225 than any other Gardo, so the RS-1 upgrade path is the one which makes the most sense. Grado may say the HF-1 doesn't use a 225 based driver or whatever, but bottom line is it pretty much sounds like a warmer 225 with a better soundstage and smoother highs.

Don't waste your time with the RS2. I prefer the HF1 since it is more midfi and sounds really musical with everything a lot of setups. The RS2 sounds like a closed in smeared 325. No that is not a good thing. The RS-1 does everything the RS2 tries to do but the sound is more open and has better depth. The RS2 just sounds really wacky, very upfront in your face and is hard to listen to if you are used to the depth of listening with bowls on the HF-1's or accustomed to the RS1 sense of space.

Care to share your source for that. My memory is that when the HF-1s were introduced this was the rumor but Grado shot it down and said that the HF-1s were in fact not based on the 225 driver.

well i am not going to say who told me but I don't doubt what the person told me then. of course GL has a history of saying this or that when its been really that or this (nothing wrong with that way of business..i guess). remember when the first ps-1's starting making the headphone section and lots of people emailed grado asking about them? i dont remember the exact quotes but i do remember laughing after hearing the "no such thing exists" emails came back...well something like that. they also had the same type of answer when the first 325i sightings came on the boards...

got to love GL..

Kind of OT, but this is one of my favorite attributes of the RS-1, and it was the very first thing I noticed the first time I heard mine.

Yeah I went from SR225 to RS-1 and damn it felt like the world got bigger. The prestige series and RS-2 just sound so damn narrow and cramped. The RS-1 is the 1st and only of the normal John grado line to actually give you a sense of space and depth in the soundstage that sounds very natural and cohesive, vs. the unnatural 3 blob effect that the senn 600/650 gives you. On the right amp and source it's a beautiful thing, and the RS-1 in general, even new stock version, is very underrated in terms of its soundstage portrayal.

Yeah I went from SR225 to RS-1 and damn it felt like the world got bigger. The prestige series and RS-2 just sound so damn narrow and cramped. The RS-1 is the 1st and only of the normal John grado line to actually give you a sense of space and depth in the soundstage that sounds very natural and cohesive, vs. the unnatural 3 blob effect that the senn 600/650 gives you. On the right amp and source it's a beautiful thing, and the RS-1 in general, even new stock version, is very underrated in terms of its soundstage portrayal.

I feel the same way. I've never understood the love of the 580/600 soundstage. I like the ps-1 even better than the rs-1 for soundstage, as the music is a little less upfront, and a little more wrapped around your head.

Biggie.

I feel the same way. I've never understood the love of the 580/600 soundstage. I like the ps-1 even better than the rs-1 for soundstage, as the music is a little less upfront, and a little more wrapped around your head.

Biggie.

I concur with your findings on the PS1 soundstage portrayal in comparison to the RS-1. I think for me the kicker is the fact that the PS-1's sound perfectly balanced with bowls, and those drivers really excel and sound great with the added physical space between the ear and driver. You get the energy and deep hard hitting bass with the liquid midrange, the highs are smooth and balanced, but the bowls creates a nice aural soundscapre that has nice depth and does swirl a bit around the head. The RS-1 can exhibit some really impressive depth and stage but you gotta use flats for tonal balance and that in of itself narrows the stage a bit. I do believe the PS-1 to be the best most refined John Grado can and will probably end up owning one within the next year or two.