anyone ever put RS-1 drivers in custom enclosures?

postjack

Clearly a poor attempt a humor on my part.
No, you're fine, I was just trying to keep a straight face, while attempting humor, myself. I mean, can you imagine transmission-line-based headphones? That said, other than the size factor, not a ludicrous idea. But if you take size (weight, form factor, looks) into account, it goes deep into ludicrous territory.

Not sure where the transmission lines would go -- straight out from the ears (if it would be as big as the B&W tweeter enclosure), in a spiral shape around the ears (if bigger), or perhaps behind the head and/or into a "backpack" (if huge).

Billy -- not sure what you mean by "field" -- translate?

Conning won't be necessary :P

deepak, I just came into an amazing opportunity for an offshore investment, something to do with rare seashells found only in the Gulf of Mexico. What happens is we need two investors each to pitch in ~$350, and in two weeks a government subsidized fund kicks in and triples the investment. Easy money man, easy money! Basically what would work is if you just send me your HF-1, I have a friend locally who is willing to buy it for $400, so you get your $350 tripled + an extra $50.

Let me know man!!!! :kitty:

With regards to modifying the enclosures to increase the resolution of lower end grados, I call bullshit. The lower grados just don't have the resolving power of an rs-1. Oh and I've listened to my ps-1's with no enclosures. The resolving power was still there.

I cannot find my source but I feel really good about making the statement "the ms1 drivers are exactly the same as the ms2i and mspro drivers" - even those the same cannot be said for the normal grado line.

Rhydon mentioned the ms2 and mspro used the same drivers, the only difference was the dampening solution they used on the drivers. Thats why he was using ms2 drivers for modifying. Which means the ms1 drivers must not be the same, or else he would have been using those.

Biggie.

if you are using two links then type "this and this"...please

i would bet that any shaping in the back of the driver would make a sonic difference then without. how much and at what angles would be up to research and Development. maybe starting a thread with the insides of well known headphones in pics and what is in the enclosures and how the material is being used could help us along the R&D.

• 2 weeks later...

The most creative use of RS-1 drivers I've seen was done by John Grado himself. The speakers in the background of this picture (from an early NY meet at Grado Labs) are made using a vertical column of RS-1 drivers. The people in the picture are bozebuttons, John Grado, and HighwayStar.

gl1.jpg

The most creative use of RS-1 drivers I've seen was done by John Grado himself. The speakers in the background of this picture (from an early NY meet at Grado Labs) are made using a vertical column of RS-1 drivers. The people in the picture are bozebuttons, John Grado, and HighwayStar.

gl1.jpg

I miss Ken (Highwaystar) :(

hirsch, did you ever hear those speakers. They look pretty funky.

Oh, and I like your sig :D

Yes, I heard them, and did a bit of critical listening. Warm sound with nice imaging, but the sweet spot is tiny, as they are very directional. Dammit, I shouldn't have said that (see sig). :P

I've heard bits and pieces of what happened with Ken, but am not going into it either. I miss him too.