Ugh - when a good night goes bad...

n_maher

Or how I discovered that the right channel of my HT receiver is toast...

So I finally had some time to myself tonight and figured that I would undertake the task of building and installing new speaker cables. Built the cables in about 45 minutes and was feeling pretty good about how things were going. Installed them in less than 10 minutes and I settled in to give the system a quick once over. Fired up the Outlaw 1050, ran the test, no right channel. Figure something must be wrong with the new cables, break out the DMM, nope continuity tests fine. Decide to try the cables in situ, cable tests fine with L channel. Decide to see if problem is limited to front Right, nope Surround Right is dead as well. Decide to check and make sure that it is the amp, not the speaker that is the issue, plug cable into Left channel, tests fine. So I figured maybe it was just bad luck, power down the 1050's main power switch, triple check all connections and fire it back up. Run Test program, no right channel, although this time I detect that there is just the slightest amount of signal leaking through the Left channel even though I'm testing the Right. Try to turn up volume a bit to see what happens, oh dear, the word "System" starts to scroll across the display and it instantly goes into shut down mode (standby). I'm guessing that can't be a good thing. So I'm sad, very sad, that my 1050 appears to have gone tits up exactly one week before Christmas.

So I guess I'm shopping for a new receiver and forgoing the much needed replacement of my DVD player. I'm not keen on shelling out well over $100 in shipping fees + parts to have it repaired considering what I paid for it and what it's worth. Or at least I don't think I am. :rant: Suggestions in the <$1000 appreciated.

Thanks Dan, I might very well take you up on that. I've posted on Outlaw's forums to see if anyone has any bright ideas. This receiver has been repaired by Outlaw before so it has a slight history, but mostly a good one. I'm also no keen to go without sound while watching TV for the next several weeks although I might not have much control over that.

And yeah, I saw the combo deals on Outlaw's page. You'd understand if I was a bit down on them at the moment...

Sorry to hear about the misfortune Nate, definitely sucks when something you actually need breaks :(

I can't offer much advice, but I've always liked Yamaha receivers. My old one is going strong for 7 years at my parent's house and they bought another a few years ago that hasn't had any problems. And we have one in my apartment now that hasn't given us any grief.

Nate,

For the record, it sounds like the same problem it had before... It was a bad relay on the right side that kept the front and rear channels from powering up. They share a relay which is why you lose both. I don't know how long it's been since I had it repaired, but it being the same issue is all the more reason to have Outlaw look at it again.

Good luck!