Ori modded Zhalou discrete output stage?

Guest sacd lover

Guest sacd lover

Well the OMZ sounds VERY good .... but the unit doesnt seem to want to lock to the digital signal. Everytime I turn the cold OMZ on I get no output. I have to turn the unit off and then back on atleast once, usually several times to get a lock and output. I know it isnt the power switch because I hear a turn off transient throught the headphones when I shut the dac off. I hate that. I tried the dac with an E5 and two different sacdmods players; same result. :rant:

I got this response from the seller ....

The Ori is picky about transports. They all exhibit this issue. After a bit though, it did not give me any issues. Ori knows about this problem and I sent that unit to Fierce_Freak who did the reccommended aditions as well as the second output located on the far edge. Fierce reported a similiar problem too. Just a characteristic I suppose. It may help to leave both the trans and the dac on after you get signal. That is what I did.

It would be nice if the seller would disclose these issues upfront. I would have passed. I cant leave my transports on with each one having zap filter output stages. This is a pain I dont want to deal with. >:(

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be nice if the seller would disclose these issues upfront. I would have passed. I cant leave my transports on with each one having zap filter output stages. This is a pain I dont want to deal with. >:(

Hi Earl,

What's the problem with leaving on units with zap filter output stages? Is it only a problem if there is no connection to amp? I like to keep my CD players turned on and don't want to kill my SACDMod E5 by doing that.

-ken

Well the OMZ sounds VERY good .... but the unit doesnt seem to want to lock to the digital signal. Everytime I turn the cold OMZ on I get no output. I have to turn the unit off and then back on atleast once, usually several times to get a lock and output. I know it isnt the power switch because I hear a turn off transient throught the headphones when I shut the dac off. I hate that. I tried the dac with an E5 and two different sacdmods players; same result. :rant:

I got this response from the seller ....

The Ori is picky about transports. They all exhibit this issue. After a bit though, it did not give me any issues. Ori knows about this problem and I sent that unit to Fierce_Freak who did the reccommended aditions as well as the second output located on the far edge. Fierce reported a similiar problem too. Just a characteristic I suppose. It may help to leave both the trans and the dac on after you get signal. That is what I did.

I too have this problem with my OMZ v4 which I just bought brand new from Ori a couple weeks ago. I have my computer hooked up via optical and my CDP via digital coax. Since most of my music is on my computer, I simply leave the OMZ on all the time and have never had to cycle the power switch to get a signal lock even after turning my computer off which I do nightly. I was a little annoyed at first, but I'm over it. I really do enjoy this DAC.

Guest sacd lover

Its not just Ori units, this has been a problem with the Zhaolu for a while. What do you expect for a $100 Chinese 'hi-fi' piece of shit?

Given the first function a dac has to perform is to lock to the incoming data stream I expect the dac to lock. Any dac should be able to perform that fuction. My zap filtered Zhalou works flawlessly and sounds extremely good. I dont know about the stock Zhalou units but the modded ones are real bargains.

Guest sacd lover

It's a near $500 device you shouldn't have to "settle" for crap like that.

No kidding .... what was Ori thinking?

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Earl,

This behavior happens because of the removal of the processor in

version 4 of the mod in order to lower the noise level.

There is no simple "fix" to this. I figured that it's not too much

of a hassle and the sound quality justifies keeping this step.

Thanks,

Guest sacd lover

They run on the warm/hot side of things for one...

Matt told me if you leave the zap on indefinitely you will eventually burn up the output stage. The zap runs in class A and there is not adequate heat sinking for uninterrupted operation.

Matt told me if you leave the zap on indefinitely you will eventually burn up the output stage. The zap runs in class A and there is not adequate heat sinking for uninterrupted operation.

Yikes. I wonder what the projected life of the output is given they're that worried about continuous operation.

Yikes. I wonder what the projected life of the output is given they're that worried about continuous operation.

Remember that the Zapfilter uses all SMD stuff, including the BJTs. Now I'm certainly no expert on device selection, but all of the good transistors (Toshiba, etc.) I know of (KG designs, Jocko's I/V stage and variants, etc.) only come in thru-hole AFAIK (TO92, etc.) packaging. LC Audio says "Active components feature low noise Japanese audio transistors in Class A mode, and vertical bipolar types from Zetex, UK, with ultra high linear performance." Dissipating any kind of power and heat thru an SMD device has got to be problematic.

No kidding .... what was Ori thinking?

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Earl,

This behavior happens because of the removal of the processor in

version 4 of the mod in order to lower the noise level.

There is no simple "fix" to this. I figured that it's not too much

of a hassle and the sound quality justifies keeping this step.

Thanks,

So it was intentional....I don't know if that makes me feel better or not.... :kitty:

I've never heard this before, you may want to get a second opinion. I've left my rig on for a good long time without issues, but I do generally turn it off when I'm not using it.

Guest sacd lover

Well the Ori is being returned to the seller. The seller is a great guy who definitely stepped up and is giving me a refund. He is, however, definitely ticked off that the reason the dac doesnt lock was a conscious decision by Ori to remove the processor.

I have to admit I did like the sound quality. I am going to contact Ori to see if he will build me one WITH the processor. I wasnt crazy about the front panel either. I miss the power and lock lights on the stock unit. You have no idea what is going on with the upgraded front panel. There should atleast be a power indicator.

Earls,

How does your Zapfilter Zhalou measured up to your SACDmods Sony SCD-C555ES? Which do you like better and why?

Thanks

I hope you're not asking this question to pick up a certain Zapped Zhaolu on a FS forum on a certain website b/c I haven't finished my thoughts on whether I should buy it just for kicks and comparison purposes to OMZ ;D

I would have bought it if it didn't have the dang CS4398 board in that thing. I really much prefer the AD1852 board in my Zhaolu...

Guest sacd lover

I hope you're not asking this question to pick up a certain Zapped Zhaolu on a FS forum on a certain website b/c I haven't finished my thoughts on whether I should buy it just for kicks and comparison purposes to OMZ ;D

I would have bought it if it didn't have the dang CS4398 board in that thing. I really much prefer the AD1852 board in my Zhaolu...

I did buy it. ;D

I really like the 4398 with the zap. I really like the Ori with the 1852 too. The presentations are different but equally enjoyable to me. The zap definitely has more bass quantity and a brighter, faster sound. The Ori is more subdued, more refined and is wonderful with vocals. The Zhalou/ zap sounds a lot like the zap 555es but the 4398 sounds more open than the dac in the Sony.

IMG_0086.jpg

IMG_0034.jpg