Ori modded Zhalou discrete output stage?

Guest sacd lover

i see... how do i get in contact with "Nate"

Easy. You've been admiring his work on the M3 rebuild in the DIY forum.

my OMZ doesn't look half bad all cased up with its shiny black face plate and big gold plated RCAs... not sure what sonic improvements would come about but come ooooon, how can you say no to a face like this winpic.jpg

I'm not sure I could say "no". But I can't speak for Nate. ;)

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooops, sorry to bust your balls on it (having a hard time saying that given the pic below :kitty:)

hehe funnily enough i re-wired the RCAs last night, should take some photos when i get home from work. i think i did ok...

Easy. You've been admiring his work on the M3 rebuild in the DIY forum.

I'm not sure I could say "no". But I can't speak for Nate. ;)

oooooh, n_maher? i thought for a while his name was nate, based on other posts at head-fi and the n in his nick, but i find it hard to catch on when people start calling eachother by their firstnames, but lately he's been called mr vaughn and responding to that so i thought maybe n_maher isn't his initial_surname

eh, well i tried to get him to build me a free M3 but it ain't happening... next time... deepak's on the job now

hehe funnily enough i re-wired the RCAs last night, should take some photos when i get home from work. i think i did ok...

oooooh, n_maher? i thought for a while his name was nate, based on other posts at head-fi and the n in his nick, but i find it hard to catch on when people start calling eachother by their firstnames, but lately he's been called mr vaughn and responding to that so i thought maybe n_maher isn't his initial_surname

eh, well i tried to get him to build me a free M3 but it ain't happening... next time... deepak's on the job now

He's Vince Vaughn, but his real name is nate. Vince is his screen name. SAG rules and all.

Behold, the re-RCAed OMZ (click pics to enlarge)

DSCF1598.JPG DSCF1601.JPG DSCF1609.JPG

p.s. the discrete output board is still utilizing the powers of air dielectric and ethernet cable damping for its superior performance, but aesthetically i think the RCAs are much better

and before you ask why one set of RCAs looks like they're the odd ones out, it's beacuse of the spacing off the holes in the case are too close and the third set of jacks wouldn't fit! so i left the old ones in...

More pics here: http://www.a-chau.net/gallery2/v/mambo-articles/RCA/

p.s. I'm not sure what I walked in on, but does there seem to be a bit of dislike to Ori on these boards?

Bingo :prettyprincess:

But I wouldn't pay too much attention since this is HeadCase. I mean, how seriously can you take those who bust your balls for not experiencing "high end" DAC's while they freely bash OMZ without hearing one?

BTW, why the heck do you have *3* sets of RCA jacks on your OMZ? And why did you use those huge RCA's? I would have gone with a pair of nice Vampire OFC or WBT Nextgens myself :)

Anyway, there is a guy on AA who made an external overkill PS for Zhaolu and claim wonderous things. Ori doesn't really agree with many things done with this PS, which is basically taking things to 1000X necessary, but heck, what the hey? If it's good for Naim..

powersupplyforzhaoludactn1.jpg

BTW, why the heck do you have *3* sets of RCA jacks on your OMZ? And why did you use those huge RCA's? I would have gone with a pair of nice Vampire OFC or WBT Nextgens myself :)

because i have no less than 3 amps i want to use it with =) i didn't realise how huge they were till they arrived, and they were cheap. and available in Australia so yeah i bought a whole bunch: http://www.diyfidelity.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=0_41&products_id=40

interesting power supply idea

she's probably 40 and has a penis

:prettyprincess:

x2

He's also pretty pathetic for making that his avatar.

lololol no any serious counter-strike competitions are played on local area networks or internet cafes where you must turn up in person and perform where an audience can watch you.

playing on the internet has too many variables, but mainly the risk of people cheating

Guest sacd lover

Nice, that's the one I've heard. Is it better than your other zapfiltered zhaolu?

My first Zap/ Zhalou had one of the latest zap filters and they have cheapened them up some. The looser101 Zhalou has an older zap filter with better parts. But, when I just compared them the difference is small if any.

Moreover, I have the looser101 Zhalou mated up with my Supra 392 .... and the first Zhalou is hooked up to a couple PPX3's and an Extreme. The Supra probably accounts for the punchier sound of the looser101 Zhalou. However, I am going to pull two of the three amps being driven by the first Zhalou and see what a difference having this first Zhalou driving only one amp makes.

Bottom line .... I love the modded Zhalou. I cant think of a better source buy for the buck. 8)

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update for those of you experiencing problems with signal lock when powering up the OMZ. Ori has resolved this issue in his 4.1 OMZ. According to Ori..."This circuit was updated in the development of the DAC/PRE unit and I

decided to implement the same change for the basic model." Contact Ori for the details. I don't plan to have my OMZ updated because I don't find it a problem since I leave it on all the time. And, I don't think I can live without it for even a couple days.