ZMF Atticus

mle2009

Hi guys!

I have a question if anyone can advice and help me out?

I'm listening mostly to electronic music, House, Progressive House, Tech House...

I have amplifier / dac Gustard A20H, link bellow:

I think that Amp Dac is good enough, I dont know, Im not audiophile and expert. I just want to upgrade my setup, especialy headphones.

I own headphones  Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250ohm. When changed Lambskin thick earpads instead original suede to DT 770, I got better tamed highs and better bass / subbass. I was really enjoying on this setup, but I wanted more. DT 770 costs 130€, and I bought a Denon AH-D7200 headphones with hope that they would sound more powerfull with better bass. I was dissapointed, because there was somehow narrow and muffled sound. I returned them for a refund to Amazon.

I dont have any good audiostore to test different high end headphones here in my country. So next step was purchase ZMF Atticus 300 ohm headphones and Lavricable USB cable + Lavricalbe Grandline connectivity cable for Atticus. Cables was not cheap at all, almost the price of Atticus. So, when I got Atticus these days I was dissapointed again :(

I didn't like the sound. Sound on Atticus was actually very similar to Denon AH-D7200, both are wooden cups, maybe that's why, I dont know... I'm currently using original Ori Lambskin earpads, I've also tried the ZMF Hybrid earpads. Here I am convinced that this problem does not have to be solved with earpads. This is probably something else. But I still don't understand how the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro (€130) with Lambskin earpads and 6.5mm single original fixed cable can sound a lot better and have better bass than the ZMF Atticus headphones for which I paid €1300, as well as the Lavricables €1100 - USB cable and the most expensive connecting cable. So for a total  €2,400 I bought headphones + cables and achieved worse sound than the DT 770 Pro which is just 130€. I really don't get it... and don't get me wrong - I am not a basshead, here we are talking more about general sound or sound signature, but I really dont believe that this is like sound signature as it should be for this Atticus, because sound is poor. I also tried with the original 6.5mm cable, of course it doesn't change anything. The sound remains hollow, narrow and a little stuffy. The Beyer sound is simply the opposite, a really full sound, a better body, a wider or. spacious sound, more lively and creamier with gentle subbass. What I notice pros about Atticus is that they just have better highs. I play FLAC files, but this is not an issue as MP3s also play very similarly. The design, build quality and comfort are superb, but for me the sound is not right. I really dont know why is this.. or am I doing something wrong?

I would be glad if someone could help me somehow.
Thanks!

I'd return them. Welcome to "high end" audio. I've never listened to the Atticus, or any other ZMF headphone. I know they have a good reputation, but what sounds good to one will vary for others. Don't buy expensive cables as they are generally snake oil, and as you note, no difference in sound. From your description, I don't think anything you might try (pads, cable, better amp, etc.) is going to get you where you want to go.

• Like 4

Thanks Pars, I could still return them, but let them the last chance;

I dont know, im not an expert, but I think Gustard hasn't enough power and is not good for pairing Atticus. I heard that for Atticus is great for tube amp. I'm waiting for LYR2 and Lion tubes, hope this will fix a problem. I hope im not wrong.

Yes, JonL I read it.. too bad for that poor review of Atticus, I hope they will come to life to a tube amp. If that will not be enough there's really nothing more you can do, as already said Pars.

The Atticus is marketed by ZMF as its “warmest” headphone, i.e. it measures really badly. So fanboys focus their praise on the most expensive ZMF models, like the Verite Closed, which I know something about. I had to switch from open-backed to closed-back headphones, so I bought a used set of Verite Closed. It’s decent sounding for a closed-back but if I didn’t need closed-back headphones, I’d use my HD800’s all the time. It is just better sounding. Also, much more comfortable - ZMF headphones are so heavy, like strapping a brick to your head. So if you don’t need a closed-back, maybe skip ZMF.

Given that these are so far away from what you view as good sound, I don't think an overly warm tube amp will even revive these. With the price of these, I would return them while you still can. The measurements look pretty bad, even though I don't give ASR much credence.