How has your rig changed in 2007? And do you have any future plans?

postjack

I saw a thread similar to this over at Steve Hoffman forums, thought it might be fun revisit the changes our rigs went through this past calendar year, and talk about our goals for 2008. :prettyprincess:

Around January of '07, I was running a Singlepower PPX3 Slam. I thought tubes were the answer to all my problems. My source was a Sony Modwright 999es, and I thought SACD was the king of all music mediums. My preferred can was the HD650.

In spring I discovered two things that changed my rig forever: vinyl and the RS-1. I was not really impressed with the SR60, SR225, or SR325i, all of which I had owned, but I sensed something cool was there, so I picked up a used RS-1. I've tried lots of cans since then, but none have been able to touch the overall listening satisfaction I get from my RS-1. The HP2, while possibly technically a better can, failed in the areas of comfort and price to performance ratio. After I replaced the abysmally dull Stanton Groovemaster cartridge, vinyl rather quickly became my new favorite medium, due to its inherent naturalness, liquidity, and bass fullness.

Amplification wise there was a Melos somewhere in there, which quite quickly made its way to a ship in the Pacific. A Dynahi arrived and stoled mah heart with its SS goodness. Bye bye pain in the ass tubes (yes yes I know, says the vinyl guy). There were a couple of AT cans and a love-hate relationship with an Ultrasone. Last but certainly not least in the can realm was my first taste of electrostats in the form of an SR-Lambda. Mmmmmm... :-*

Beyond cans the joy of speakers entered my life with the 840A and 22Ls. :dance:

When I bought the 840C, the Modwright flew the coop and took with it my hi-rez dreams. Finally source wise I entered into mortal kombat with a Grado Sonata and PH-1. Finally I think I got that one settled down. :)

As far as the future goes, I'm pretty much still dizzy from all the gear I experienced this past year. Possible ideas are a new turntable (maybe a sota or one of those fancy pro-jects with the carbon fiber tonearm) or an SR-007 rig.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IIRC, I started out the 2007 with the following -

Esoteric DV50 > ASL MG Head DT/OTL 32 > K1000/Ergo 2

Grado Gold > VPI Scout w/ JMW-9 > ARC PH3 > ASL MG Head DT/OTL 32 > K1000/Ergo 2

Ended the year with -

Cambridge Audio Azur 840C (with or without Squeezebox) > Rockhopper B22 > K1000/K701/K271

Grado Gold > VPI Scout w/ JMW-9 > Trigon Vanguard II > Rockhopper B22 > K1000/K701/K271

At the moment, ASL amp is out getting updated/modified with decent amount of new parts and I'm still waiting for my SP K1000/power amp.

Nothing new is on the horizon, though I'm curious about the buttonless RS-1, and I may get a better cart after I stockpile more vinyls. Also, depending on how SP K1000/power amp turns out, I may be in a market for a pair of high-efficiency speakers.

2007 was pretty wacky :kitty:

I had a Lavry DA10 for my source, which then changed to a North Star M192. This was my second best upgrade this year, I really love it. Also picked up a vinyl setup- Music Hall MMF-5 and NAD PP-2 that I really enjoy.

My amp was an M^3 that I sold back to my friend. And then I got a Melos SHA-1 (the HP-2 synergy with Amperex tubes was oh so sweet). Sold that and was borrowing my friend's M^3. I hope to have a Beta22 sometime. Also sold my Pass Labs Aleph 30 amp, which I got in 2006. Good amp for the K1000, but it had its shortcomings.

Did very little cable experimenting, hoping to try some better DIY silver cables in 2008.

Headphones that came and went: AKG K340 (x2), Grado HP-2, Sony CD3000, Sennheiser HD650 (x2), AKG K701, Alessandro MS-1, Grado SR-225 and Grado HF-1 and a backup pair of K1000. Of the lot that were bought and sold only the CD3000 were truly repulsive. The bass heavy K430 and HF-1 were amongst the better ones. And obviously my backup K1000.

Newly headphones for 2007 (that I still have): Audio Technica L3000, Grado HP-2 (#2), Senn HD580 and Grado SR-325. The L3000 are still my favorite headphones. The HD580 is an excellent value and so far my limited listening time with the SR-325/flats has not disappointed (though they're still a tad bit sizzly, could use some HF smoothing).The HP-2 are great but they might be sold since the L3000/K1000 are wonderful and complement each other perfectly, plus I have a really busy year work-wise.

Conclusion:

I found a second headphone that I really love, the Audio Technica L3000. Heard the K1000 in a much better system than mine and I can see how some consider it the best headphone made. Never thought that upgrading my source could have such a big impact on my system. Still playing the amp game.

Now on to the real eye opener of 2007- hearing a rediculously well planned and thought out speaker system. It's not my system so I won't go on about it too much, but I know what the future holds for me now :)

Headphones:

I bought and sold RS-1s and L3000s. I really liked the both of them, but the L3000s are absolutely fantastic. I sold the L3000s because I was/am listening to speakers much more. This is the year that I realized that I am really a speakers person at heart. Headphones just don't sound satisfying anymore, at least not completely satisfying.

Also I think I bought and sold a W5000 and realized that except for the L3000s, I really don't like Audio-Technica headphones.

Amps:

I sold my PPX3. Later I ended up with a Dynahi, which I then sold. As of now, my only headphone amp is the AE-2, but that will also soon be sold because of the Zana Deux.

Source:

This is where I made the biggest jump: went from soundcard to Lavry DA-10, then to Stello DP200, and finally the Esoteric DV-60.

Conclusion:

I am a speaker guy.

Next year:

I might sell my current speakers because my room is too small, and having too much gear really takes up valuable space. I might have to go back to a headphones only setup until I graduate and move out into my own place in June. The plan is that once I graduate and get a real job and a real place, I can then do some serious research/audition and go for a speaker setup that I can be content with for a while.

Also, might get the AudioEngine speakers which are small and can fit nicely on my bookshelf, and whatever new-fangled thing that Sennheiser is announcing at CES.

are you liking the Box-O-Lunch? you really do need to get that DAC-AH...

i am really liking it, i really want to do a review on it, but i got so much shit to do on the side that i haven't had a chance to really get started, let alone sit and listen to the thing for more than an hour or so once in a while.

speaking of the dac-ah, i'm planning on getting one sometime soon, not sure when, but soon....

I went from the AT-HA5000 amplifer and ATH-W5000 to the Yamamoto HA-02 and Ultrasone Edition 9. Just this past week I added a set of RCA Virtual Dynamic Nite cables with the Cardas Rhodium XLR-RCA adapters. I also have added a Berning micro-ZOTL unit and Beresford TS7510 and Squeezebox for a second setup. Here is am using the ESW9.

For portable I got myself a iMod and Xin Reference (beta) feeding either the ATH-ANC7 or my AT-ESW7.

Next I might sell the micro-ZOTL and get a second Yamamoto HA-02. I also might look toward getting some additional higher end cables.

Some minor changes to my K340 amp and fine-tuning of my K340.

Got an RS-1 and built a tube amp for it, currently working on a better tube amp.

Picked up my parents' Dual 721 turntable since they're not using it anymore, and plugged it into an old Technics receiver which had been gathering dust in my storage area. I was going to sell my Senn 580's, but they actually sound pretty good with this rig so I'm holding on to them.

Added "electron pools" to my CD player and headphone amps. I still can't believe it works.

2007, ugh. I'm actually ending it much the way I started it, my rig is in shambles. I know where I want it to go but it is going to take time, my time specifically, to get it set.

At the start of 2007 I thought I was climbing the final hill, I had begun preparations for building a single-ended beta22 and couldn't imagine that I'd ever do anything more insane than that (infamous last words). Then there was the meet in NYC, where it was shown to me with great clarity that my source was truly lacking. That situation cleared itself up with the arrival of the Hertsens DAC which in turn started a conversation that I'd never really imagined happening. Should I go balanced? So the beta22 was sold and construction began, or rather planning started for the balanced beta project. Then life got really, really busy. That's pretty much where things stand for me. I've got the source side of things more than covered and if I could just find the time and motivation I might actually have my balanced rig ready for CanJam...

Then there's that whole STAX itch which seems to be rearing its ugly head again.

Started '07 with an Ayre CX-7e cdp, HD-650, Moth si2A3, RWA Sig 30, K1000 and a pair of Abbys. I think I had the Zana Deux and F1 next, which then moved to a WA5 and I added the ED9's and sent the HD-650 packing. The Abbys went to Vicki and in came the Omega SH, which moved to the CH. The DV-50 was in there after the Ayre, to be replaced by the SD Transporter, replaced by the Wavelength Cosecant. I then sold off everything except the Cosecant and in came my System-Audio Ranger speakers, Berendsen IPA 80 integrated. There was a Apogee Mini Dac, SB3/Nate PS in there as well with an EC/SS for the very short lived bedroom rig. I have an MPX3 coming in, HD-650s back with a Grandenigma replacement cable also on its way. The big question is do I go completely nuts (most probably feel I'm already there) and get the new Stax SR-007mk2/SRM-007tii rig.

how did you like that Ayre, Tyrion? i think you'll like the GE cable, i liked mine...

and yes, you should go completely nuts, with a Bryston 14BSST and a pair of Thiel 3.7s

If I move to a different speaker, it would be the next level up in SA, the Explorer. I am sticking with the integrated for now. It has a preamp so I can always add an amp down the road. The Ayre was an excellent cdp. I moved from it to the DV-50 because I had to have DVD-A and SACD. If I ever went back to a cdp I would consider an Ayre again. Beyond remembering that I liked it, I don't remember any detail. They have a great warranty that transfers to the new owner which is a huge plus in my book. I had to deal with them once and they were so a accommodating knowing that I bought the cdp used.

I want to see jp numbers attempt to reconstruct the gear changes he's been through in the last six months alone. :kitty:

I had to go back to my feedback thread. I left off a few items and there are some I am sure I forgot.

this is what i want to do, but I want a KGSS instead of the SR-007tii. I'm awaiting justin's impressions of the 007mk2.

If I don't buy the Stax rig on HF, I was thinking of going for broke and getting the new 007 rig (I know a great deal that's available for the cans and amp). I would probably sell the amp eventually and go with a Headamp KGSS. At least that would be the plan.

transferable warranties are something that more of the audio community needs to get into. i'm glad the lifetime Thiel warranty transfers!

i've never tried an integrated amplifier. it always made sense, as it negates the need for year another set of cables, but i've never seen any really beefy integrated amps.

I was going back and forth between the amp and the integrated. I decided to go with the integrated in part to save some money. I can always add an amp. The integrated is 80 wpc/8 ohm and 140 wpc/4 ohm. My speakers are 4 ohm so there is plenty of power, especially for the small room I'm in. Plus it has a pretty kick ass headphone out.

get a KGSSSTSSSTSESSSSE, PJ

I still aspire for a high(er)-end electrostatic amp, but it would appear that my current rig just needs about nine more Ss, a couple of Ts, and at least two Es. I'm actually now thinking three Es though, or would that be deemed prudish conspicuous consumption?

Electrostatic: started with Eastsound E5 -> BH (xf3) -> HE60, then added a ZapFilter to the E5, and had a pair of Lamnda Signatures roll through. Sac'd the E5 / Lambdas for an Azure 840c to end the year Azur 840c -> BH (xf2) -> HE60.

Dynamic: Had a zero base, and added DVD (transport) -> OPUS DAC -> MillettMax (x2 - balanced) -> Denon d2000. The Denon's won't do, so I'm waiting for Alex to balance some RP-21 (no guts no glory), but a balanced HD600 ain't far away.

Oh, and IFF Senn introduces a new flagship, it will be acquired. If not, OIIv2.

I started out '07 with a portable rig. Now I don't have anything portable (minus a shuffle and KSC-75) and have lots of home equipment, much of which has changed several times, including going through 4 sources, 4 amps, and many many pairs of headphones. Currently using Opus -> Beta22 -> RS-1

shuffle and ksc75 is a pretty tough portable rig to beat, excluding isolation.