tyrion

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Grant Inc. says it's a good arm >:D

GRANT INC, vinyl anachronist, and TONEPUB are Gandymen. ;D Seriously, not that I'm saying that the RB250 is a bad arm, but on a $2000 TT i'd at least want an RB300.

I've been doing the PJ dance and waffling all over the place for my 2008 Analog Extravaganza. Just yesterday I was thinking VPI, the day before that Pro-Ject, the day before that SOTA, and today its a KAB upgraded SL-1210M5G. Then I want to get an Origin Live Armboard, cut up my SL-1200MK2, and put an RB300 on it. :) I'd need to figure out where I'm going to put these turntables though, I definitely need better isolation then my rickety Circuit City rack.

Look how sweet it looks though.

post-253-12951152026467_thumb.jpg

GRANT INC, vinyl anachronist, and TONEPUB are Gandymen. ;D Seriously, not that I'm saying that the RB250 is a bad arm, but on a $2000 TT i'd at least want an RB300.

I've been doing the PJ dance and waffling all over the place for my 2008 Analog Extravaganza. Just yesterday I was thinking VPI, the day before that Pro-Ject, the day before that SOTA, and today its a KAB upgraded SL-1210M5G. Then I want to get an Origin Live Armboard, cut up my SL-1200MK2, and put an RB300 on it. :) I'd need to figure out where I'm going to put these turntables though, I definitely need better isolation then my rickety Circuit City rack.

Look how sweet it looks though.

It's actually a $3000 tt at retail. I've heard it and you are paying for the rest of the set up. The platter is around 30 pounds. It comes with a cart mounted as well and has upgrade path in terms of arms.

Post reported! The gorts are going to get you now!!

I've been thinking about a Rega P3, not sure if that will be an upgrade over my MMF-5 or not. Conflicting reports at SH, but their opinions are pretty polarizing...

I've been thinking about a Rega P3, not sure if that will be an upgrade over my MMF-5 or not. Conflicting reports at SH, but their opinions are pretty polarizing...

Do you have any motor noise problems with the MMF-5? I've read a few complaints in this regard about that table. Others complain about the Pro-Ject tonearm and tracking troubles.

The P3 2000 with upgraded PSU would probably be an upgrade, but at that point I'd probably just spring for the P5 and add the PSU later if finances didn't permit. It is a snazzy looking table.

tyrion: I'm sure the table is a beast, I'm just being nit picky.

Post reported! The gorts are going to get you now!!

http://buy.audiogon.com/cgia/cls.pl?anlgtabl&1204051593

Looks like a pretty good deal with the Exact cart. I know the seller. He used be on HF a lot in my early days. I bought his Cicada drivers that he was selling recently. He's a good guy.

I don't think it's really worth it, the P3 is better but I'd rather save up and get something that's a few levels up like the Pro-Ject RM9 or RPM10. Taking little baby steps doesn't make much sense to me, if you're going to upgrade, make it a big clear upgrade. To use an example, why go from a Grado SR60 to an SR80 when you can save up a bit and make the jump to a 325 or RS-1? With small upgrades you're often left wondering "is this really better? is it really worth it?" while if you take a big step up it's more like "holy shit this sounds awesome!" and you don't really give a fuck about how much money you spent.

I don't think it's really worth it, the P3 is better but I'd rather save up and get something that's a few levels up like the Pro-Ject RM9 or RPM10. Taking little baby steps doesn't make much sense to me, if you're going to upgrade, make it a big clear upgrade. To use an example, why go from a Grado SR60 to an SR80 when you can save up a bit and make the jump to a 325 or RS-1? With small upgrades you're often left wondering "is this really better? is it really worth it?" while if you take a big step up it's more like "holy shit this sounds awesome!" and you don't really give a fuck about how much money you spent.

There is some validity to this, especially when it comes to turntables, which can be a pain in the ass to setup, as well as a pain in the ass to ship if you decide to sell.

On the other hand, sometimes its just nice to get a brand new pretty, even if it isn't a huge upgrade.

Do you have any motor noise problems with the MMF-5? I've read a few complaints in this regard about that table. Others complain about the Pro-Ject tonearm and tracking troubles.

The P3 2000 with upgraded PSU would probably be an upgrade, but at that point I'd probably just spring for the P5 and add the PSU later if finances didn't permit. It is a snazzy looking table.

tyrion: I'm sure the table is a beast, I'm just being nit picky.

No motor noise or inner groove distortion (another problem with the early MMF-5s).

Yeah the P3 is just something that I think about in passing now and then. If I do upgrade it will probably be to something significantly better. Heck I still need a cleaning machine, but researching cleaning machines is much less glamorous.

I do not the scout at all and thought it a step down from my run of the mill LP 12 before I went crazy with the mods. The SOTA saffire was the LP12s equal slightly different sounding but overall equal. The Teres or Gabilier are the 2009 turntables for me. I picked up a crazy expressimo turntable, Sal/expressimo is the guy that does the rega arm counter weights that are probably the most popular. The table is crazy when I get my new bearing for it I'll post up some glory shots. A turntable would not be a difficult DIY design for the mechanically inclined. :kitty:O0

Why? I happen to like Hirsch's VPI very much.

VPI decks are good. My problem is they cancelled their agreement to sell VPI and I became privy to some information that disturbed me about the situation. I've liked all the VPI decks I've heard. I think there is better stuff out there at the same price points but it's good stuff.