Versatile amp for some odd cans

hungrych

what are you calling odd? :P

the W10LTD and W10VTG don't have the same sound signature, so it might be a bit more difficult to find something that suites both equally well. I'll probably want something that colors the sound of the W10LTD a bit more and make it warmer (haven't actually heard this can yet since someone hasn't sent it to me still, but from the reviews posted by others it seems to follow the W1000 and W2002 in sound, which I have), while for the W10VTG it is already quite warm-sounding so I wouldn't want an amp to add much more to it.

but that's just my preference, and seeing as how you want one amp for them all I'll go for an overall neutral amp with good control and power if I were you. perhaps a GS-1? less coloration and letting the headphone's sound signature through isn't too bad, while added coloration might be too much.

not sure where the K280 would fit in.

what are you calling odd? :P

the W10LTD and W10VTG don't have the same sound signature, so it might be a bit more difficult to find something that suites both equally well. I'll probably want something that colors the sound of the W10LTD a bit more and make it warmer (haven't actually heard this can yet since someone hasn't sent it to me still, but from the reviews posted by others it seems to follow the W1000 and W2002 in sound, which I have), while for the W10VTG it is already quite warm-sounding so I wouldn't want an amp to add much more to it.

but that's just my preference, and seeing as how you want one amp for them all I'll go for an overall neutral amp with good control and power if I were you. perhaps a GS-1? less coloration and letting the headphone's sound signature through isn't too bad, while added coloration might be too much.

not sure where the K280 would fit in.

Well by odd I meant uncommon, as there aren't nearly as many people who have them as say an HD650. 8)

Part of the reason I was thinking of tubes was that I could tube roll to find the best match for each headphone. I haven't actually heard any of these headphones, so I guess what I need is something that's generally synergistic, but still lets the character of the headphones shine through.

tube amps are good for that, but the PPX3 is too colored for some headphones IMO, like the W10VTG. some coloration is good and gives the cans more body and character, which the W10LTD probably can use, but I'm thinking a PPX3 would overdo it.

but then the last time I heard a PPX3 was a long time ago, so who knows. :P they'll have a couple ATH-Ws to mess with at the Cinci meet so I guess I'll be looking out for that too. no W10LTD's, but that should have a similar sonic signature as the W100 and W5000 (more the W100 than the W5000) so it should be good enough.

AT-HA2002 will do the trick :D

But eh, I personally feel some warmth would go a long way with the more analytical sounding side of the ATH-W (10LTD), but making VTG sound warmer more euphonic won't go astray either. I tried W10LTD with Earmax Pro with the stock tubes and I liked it...

Overlunge

Is the Earmax powerful at all though? I hear that the older AKG's are kinda hard to drive. Though if I prefer one headphone to the others I'll probably just sell the others and find the best match for it.

The w10 ltd is different sounding to the w1k, w2002. In this respect it has more in common with the jpn but not as smooth or refined. It has quite a good bit of body and technically it's pretty good.

But while it does have the qualities it was like an AT version of hp-2's. Good if you like that sort of thing but dull if you don't.

For what it's worth I've run a W10VTG out of an MPX with the slam configuration and I agree with Overluge's statement that the VTG doesn't suffer when paired with a warm amp. I probably wouldn't pair it with warm tubes but I thought when paired with a Sylvania VT-231 and two Tung-Sol JTL-5687s the VTG sounded very good.

To me, W5000 and W2002 are similar but yet different in certain aspects, I feel W5000 is more of a matured version of W1000. It's almost like AT set out to produce a headphone, and W1000 being the prototype and the W5000 being the complete package.

W2002 has more warmth, and more fuzz than the W5000's more resolute signature and more even sounding across the frequency spectrum. W2002 seems to be a bit edgy sounding with more emphasis towards the higher frequency range. This to a degree gets 'equalised' with the HA2002 amp, but it doesn't make a night and day difference.

:P Sorry this is fast turning into a Woodie thread...

Overlunge