The Headcase pico Lovefest: Post your impressions here

thrice

Sorry head-caser's if my post attracts flocks of naggers.

(it was offer to help - that's all - not telling him how to run his business)

it's a bit of a sore subject with the huge argument that took place over at the other place after idiots started to complain about having to wait a few more months than expected for their picos and saying that justin should change his business practices

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh, didn't know that - was just trying to make life easier for him (and the buyers). Sorry to stir up old arguments. I imagined that compiling and maintaining that list would be tedious, and as my job at work is basically to automate things like that, I naturally went that direction.

Yeah, didn't think about the aspect of people flooding with fake orders. I suppose I should have realized that things are the way they are for a reason :)

Again - sorry if it came across as me trying to tell him how to run his business. Not my intent at all!

Justin, if you do update the list, I'd like to give you my headfi name (SR-71Panorama) since I ordered from your website, you probably dont already have that info.

(sr71panorama AT gmail DOT com, with an order for 2 units) :)

You're on a special secret list and I'm going to try and get it done next week

• 1 month later...

Too bad the headroom combo got dusted badly by the pico. Both units were tested using grado sr60/flac/foobar/usb. The headroom unit had a higher noise floor, less detail, and slightly fatiguing. This was a bit of the thin diffuse sound I'm used to hearing from portable rigs, and I wasn't enjoying the experience.

Biggie.

When I had the Headroom micro DAC/AMP combo with the desktop DAC chip I noticed that my Grados from the SR60, SR80, SR225, and RS1s were particularly bright and very fatiguing. I even had a chance to listen to a HR Max DAC/Amp with my Grados and it was very fatiguing as well :(. I did notice that they performed well with the HD650s and K701s though.

Pico DAC impressions.

I've had the Pico for a few weeks now.

I moved some stuff from my bedroom to my basement, and haven't migrated my Dac3 or Ear HP4 downstairs yet. I've been using my new-to-me B22 with Pico. So I haven't heard how the B22 mates with the Dac3, and only had the HP4 connected to a Pico for a few hours.

Overall, I still really love the Dac3 the most, but the Pico gets fairly close. Its quite surprising, considering it is about 1/4th the cost, and probably 1/4th the size as well.

However, both the Dac3 and HP4 have not been turned on for at least a week now. :o

To my ears, the Dac3 has slightly better highs, cleaner midbass and slightly leaner bass with more tonality. But if I was back in college with a more limited income, I could easily live with the Pico alone. I had to make do with a Transit, then an Emu 0404USB in college.....those dark days are now behind me :D

The one impression I have that has been most consistent with all of my Dac upgrades is the tendency towards a 'fun sound' in the bass, as the chief signature of all the affordable units. The Emu definitely goes for this sound, and at times makes it glaringly obvious. The Pico does a far, far better job, giving an impression of a more balanced and even sound, yet if you listen for it, you realize that it does have a healthy, robust bass sound. The Dac3 is where I hear the sound take a different direction, and is more balanced and linear still. Though I know the optical sounds a little more robust than the USB counterpart. But I've been using the computer as source almost entirely. I haven't used the optical since around the first month or two of owning the Bel Canto, simply because the USB is so convenient.

I still cant believe how close the Pico Dac gets though.

So those are my impressions. YMMV.

Here is a pic I took when I received my Picos. I've sold one to help fund an SACD player (not yet purchased), but will definitely be keeping the 2nd.

2359651704_737149e813.jpg?v=0

Can't say that my ears have ever perceived the HR stuff as bright or fatiguing either, but I suppose this is one of those thing even more than quality that is probably highly variable and completely user dependent.

Hi n_maher and Reks. yeah it is probably user dependent. I did like the HR Microstack and HR Desktop Max with the HD650 and K701s, but for the Grados it was just bright to my ears. Overall though HR was the reasons why I looked into this hobby so I thank them :).

Basically you have nothing to lose buying one. Even just to try :)

You could buy a used one and sell again for the same price :)

I brought aardvark sandwich's Pico and I just had it for two days and it is simply amazing. I want to spend more time with them before I post impressions though. I brought it originally just to try it out, and then sell it again for the same price. But now, I don't know if I should sell it or keep it as I'm enjoying it a fair amount...

I just checked Justins pre-order list and it is huge! When I was on it I was like #120ish. I had my Pico since January and it makes my college life better! Love it with my ER4S's.

I just saw the list. Man, even if only 2/3 of the pre-orders are completed (I'm guessing there are some who changes their mind while waiting), that's a lot of Picos out there.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I received my Pico this week and while it sounds unbelievable, something rather heavy is loose inside the enclosure which causes it to rattle when moved. Just wondering if anyone else has this issue and whether it will have any effect on its durability.

Thanks