The Headcase pico Lovefest: Post your impressions here

thrice

Keep those excellent impressions coming boys and gurils?? Is the lack of sonic impressions because we've all seen how Boomana eats portable pod people for breakfast? Well, I ain't scairt (actually, I am).

I received my Pico in the first set of shipments; have had it since the Christmas holidays and it has been a constant companion since then. It saw initial and continued duty as the sound device for my home gaming rig as I attempt to complete COD4 on at the Veteran level (recently completed Hardened level). As a side note, anyone that tells you that bomb blasts and machinegun fire are not the best method of breaking in an amp is clueless.. (insert stupid smiley). I have been impressed by how much better I can hear footfalls in multiplayer maps. Yes, the Pico has saved my life; I now see the light. Of course, the savior at the end of the light is wearing an old baseball cap with a well-turned front lid, slung low.

Headphones used: Stock HF-1s, PK-1s, Sensa 2X-S

I will also write that I'm so glad that I've moved to higher end (not done yet) electrostatic gear, because for dynamic gear, I think this little dude will be putting many entry- to mid-level home systems to task. My initial intent in the switch was e-stats for home-bound critical listing and portable dynamics for casual and on-the-go musical enjoyment. Although I'm the worst at remembering how something sounds (even from one second to the next; why I cannot do good comparison-type reviews), the Pico, with foobar, asio, and lossless, seems as musical and as enjoyable as my old Mini-DAC/Ear+ HD combo. With the amazing low distortion level, I believe it is a little more resolving; I'm hearing excellent detail. I think that the Pico, a good source (or onboard DAC), and a good set of cans makes for a very decent critical listening system.

I've owned the Hornet and T-Hawk as portables and enjoyed the sound, but they sounded like portables. Good detail, punchy, but lacked that larger sense of space that defines the sound stage along with the texture and feeling that good full-size gear provides. The Pico differs mostly in this area, in that it creates more of what I look for in good home amps, such as the simultaneous handling of quiet and loud passages that create the sense of space, imaging, and separation of instruments as instructed by the source material. These big-boy traits are combined with the great texture of the instruments and vocals, and the micro details that provide the sense of the recording venue; a studio or a concert hall.

I've been carrying the Pico back and forth from work to use as my laptop's sound card. Perfectly portable. I'm getting the absolute most from Pandora and sky.fm (192k) for background tunes while working.

Amp section - Another very amazing transportable combo is the Pico and my dual-DAC D25 portable with the Sensa 2X-S. I'm listening to this combo as I type, and Kate Havnevik's voice has that completely airy, sensual, well-controlled sense that I hear on my home rig (to a lesser extent, but palatable). Okay, I also just think Kate is palatable... but her unique way of transitioning from audible breath to voiced words (similar style to Bebel Gilberto) is reproduced to a very nice degree.

My dynamic rig, computer sound card, gaming sound, and travel rig were are completed with one little package in gorgeous piano black finish. Thanks Justin.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But I've also got a Pico on the way. Hoping to have it tomorrow. :prettyprincess:

I did read that; was more just gunning for a silly intro; hope you didn't mind.... I very much look forward to your impressions; get some better data in this thread.

I'm finding that the Pico does a good job of driving the PK-1s, which I found to be surprisingly hard to drive for a bud, at least by other portables. Perfect combo for the office as I can hear around me, and no headband hair.

Me four! Mine arrived today. I'm listening to it now for the first time out of my notebook listening the the Grateful Dead channel on Sirius Satellite Radio. I get the premium stream but it's still pretty compressed. It sounds great with the Pico. I'm using my er-6i's. Tomorrow night I will throw it in the big rig.

I've had my Pico with DAC for a few days. I've tried it with a Vista PC and a Macbook. The DAC is decent and surprisingly good for such a small package, but I don't think it's particularly good compared to a Lavry DA10, for example.

The Pico drives the ESW9 reasonably well and and they comprise a nice transportable package together with the Macbook. I worry a bit about the Pico's battery life and potential effects of many charge cycles.

I don't even have an application for the Pico at the moment, yet I want one. I do have an idea on how I could use one... but it would require further expenses. *sigh* :P

I was in the same boat. I ordered mine when HF went down and Justin wasn't sure if he would be able to get in touch with those that ordered so I figured, why not. After I ordered I tried to figure out what to use it for. I plan on trying it out as a dac for my office rig using a mini to RCA from the headphone jack into my office integrated out to speakers.

I'm inching closer to ordering one as well.

Still thinking we need a mini-meet along with the other usual suspects so you guys can give the Pico a listen, or, I pack up my Pico and send it you and the other locals for a few days of analysis. It truly adds the fun back into portable and creates minimal clutter on the desktop at the office.

Oh heck, just dew eet!!!

I?d read that great manufacturer?s tip and started last night by cutting holes in the back that line up with the charge and USB connectors. However, running the lines through the cutouts and then connecting/adjusting the bag is proving less than swift. Next step is the Justin?s Sack (ah?hem) mod??

So, are you taking side bets on Baby Elephant?s Pico vs. Aristaeus shootout? I think this need a triple-blind-double-fudge test to be a fair test. That is, while blindfolded, we swoop in and snag the HE90s and Aristaeus??