Three Weeks 'Till iPhone

postjack

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, i saw those rumors, but i've been burned by Apple so much at work with enterprise stuff (i love their gear at home, and for stand alone computers in a University environment, but they are a pain in the ass en masse) that i'll see it when i believe it. 3G should definitely be soon, as it was a stupid omission to begin with.

I don't get it, there are so many people that would buy them if the had the ability to sync an Outlook calendar. It will work with an exchange server and get Outlook email, why not the calendar. It makes no sense. If they go 3G I may go for it anyway. Having my calendar would be great but I've gone all this time without it.

It looks cool, definitely -- I love the concept of a "soft" interface -- but the biggest selling point of the iPod is the interface. The iPod's interface. This one is different.

Ah well, moot point now. :horsey:

The biggest selling point of the apple ][ is the interface. The mac is different.

I'd love to switch to AT&T and the iPhone if I wanted to pay more than double what I'm paying now for service and slower limited internet access.

I'd have to agree on this....while I love the iPhone (friend has one and I've played with them at Apple stores), I just can't see being locked into AT&T/Cingular and their service. While I don't have firsthand experience with them, I've heard horror stories from friends and I've never had an issue with Verizon...never one dropped call.

Having said that...get the iPhone. Or just get a cheap ass phone and an iPod Touch.

My wife has an iPhone and it is a great device. I'll get one when the 3G version is released and Apple either licenses Active Sync or creates its own version that will let me sync an Outlook calendar.

If Apple actually releases a proper SDK for the iPhone next month like they've been promising there will be a 3rd party app available in no time that'll have full Exchange server sync'ing capabilities.

I was on Cingular for years prior to Verizon. 6 one half dozen the other far as service goes, both were fine in all parts of Alabama. Cingular in particular was also fine along the gulf coast from Lousiana to the panhandle, George from Atlanta to Savannah and west, South Carolina, North Carolina around Boone/Winston-Salem, parts of TN. So the different service provider doesn't really weigh in. $45 a month for 450 minutes is fine with me.

I've had Sprint, Cingular, Nextel, and Verizon. I'll rank them form my experience, just for the hell of it:

Best-->Worst

Price(features of plan/$): Cingular, Verizon, Nextel *I had an employee plan for sprint

Reception: Nextel, Cingular, Sprint, Verizon

Customer Service: Cingular, Verizon, Sprint *Never used Nextel C.S.

And notes: I used Nextel for a job, and I had am employee plan on Sprint.

I know why they released the iPhone without 3G, it's so when they do release it this year, it's goign to cost $100 above what the regular iPhone costs, making 2 model lines, both having sub models (different Gb memory).

When they released the original iphone, it was $200 more, and there were 2 models.

The real reason: battery life

2 models as in 4 and 8 Gb.

** Oh snap, I didn't know the 4 Gb was discontinued.

Apple doesn't have additional models if they don't need them. That was the problem under Gil Amelio. Too many variants. Now they stick with as few as they think they can drive demand for. When models get too similar, the less profitable one gets discontinued. See ipod mini vs ipod nano.

If Apple actually releases a proper SDK for the iPhone next month like they've been promising there will be a 3rd party app available in no time that'll have full Exchange server sync'ing capabilities.

I won't buy into a product where the manufacturer actively tries to screw it's customers. e.g. Custom Ringtones, if I want to make my own, I shouldn't have to hack my phone to use it. Oh, yeah that's right, Apple wants you to buy them from them.

And Apple keeps releasing firmware updates that do little more than to lock the phone down from people trying to make their product more useful.

Microsoft often makes bone headed decisions, but they have consistently been on the side of consumers when it comes to features.

And yeah. EVDO > EDGE. In the Apples stores they have their iPhones set up with Wifi. Go into the iPhones menu and set it for an EDGE connection only, and you'll really see how slow EDGE is.

-Ed

You can make ringtones with garage band and with itunes now for free, no hacks required.

I won't buy into a product where the manufacturer actively tries to screw it's customers. e.g. Custom Ringtones, if I want to make my own, I shouldn't have to hack my phone to use it. Oh, yeah that's right, Apple wants you to buy them from them.

• 3 weeks later...

my friend got his iphone on launch.. he says its pointless to have because its phone functions are kinda bad.. and almost every service overcharges you. he brought it to school to show us.. and then he went back to using his sony ericsson... the only thing I thought that was special was how u can tilt it, etc

my friend got his iphone on launch.. he says its pointless to have because its phone functions are kinda bad.. and almost every service overcharges you. he brought it to school to show us.. and then he went back to using his sony ericsson... the only thing I thought that was special was how u can tilt it, etc

what's with you digging up all these old threads today?