taboo

dc

hi there

i don't know if it's a taboo question, but was just wondering how come this place isn't ever mentioned on head-fi?

am i missing something? is it supposed to be private only (i read some archives and noticed it was invite only at one stage)

the reason i ask is that before i read the wikipedia article on headphones (of which this forum is linked, so it mustn't be that private) i had no idea this place existed and it seems like a great place when head-fi's a bit too much. i'd like to continue hanging here so before i get too carried away i just wanted to understand how things roll around here

could someone please clarify?

thanks,

dave

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's taboo because there are people at the other site who would be unable to resist the temptation to think for themselves at the other site, so they're not allowed to see references to this site.

hi there

i don't know if it's a taboo question, but was just wondering how come this place isn't ever mentioned on head-fi?

am i missing something? is it supposed to be private only (i read some archives and noticed it was invite only at one stage)

the reason i ask is that before i read the wikipedia article on headphones (of which this forum is linked, so it mustn't be that private) i had no idea this place existed and it seems like a great place when head-fi's a bit too much. i'd like to continue hanging here so before i get too carried away i just wanted to understand how things roll around here

could someone please clarify?

thanks,

dave

From what I understand this place was created by at least one if not two banned members of head-fi. They wanted to make a place to talk about music in relation to audio gear where you wouldn't have to worry about moderation. You can say: Fuck, shit ass titties, ray samuel's gear is over priced or anything else you like. The only things you'd have to be afraid of is that if you say something stupid you'll be tarred and feathered or at the minimum, get a stupid nickname like "permanent tantrums".

Most of us here are here because we got sick of all the moderation over at the Fi but still want to be a part of a headphone community but with out all the bullshit.

I think jude and some of the other mods don't like it thus it is verboten to mention head-case.

Sometimes on HF you'll see references to "the site that must not be named". That site is HC. If you try to put "head-case" in a message, the checker won't let you do it. If somehow you are able to reference HC, that message quickly gets deleted. Jude has insisted that this site not be mentioned and that nobody publicize HC using HF resources. I don't understand why (even knowing the history), but HF is his site and he can run it anyway he wants.

From what I understand this place was created by at least one if not two banned members of head-fi. They wanted to make a place to talk about music in relation to audio gear where you wouldn't have to worry about moderation. You can say: Fuck, shit ass titties, ray samuel's gear is over priced or anything else you like. The only things you'd have to be afraid of is that if you say something stupid you'll be tarred and feathered or at the minimum, get a stupid nickname like "permanent tantrums".

Most of us here are here because we got sick of all the moderation over at the Fi but still want to be a part of a headphone community but with out all the bullshit.

I think jude and some of the other mods don't like it thus it is verboten to mention head-case.

Then there is the other half of the benefits. The lack of low quality pretentious posts. The posts you will find here are either helpful or retarded- but the differences are easy to discern. Over there at the head-fie, the differences are muted, and it is harder to tell whether the posts are serious or simply seriously stupid.

Sometimes on HF you'll see references to "the site that must not be named". That site is HC. If you try to put "head-case" in a message, the checker won't let you do it. If somehow you are able to reference HC, that message quickly gets deleted. Jude has insisted that this site not be mentioned and that nobody publicize HC using HF resources. I don't understand why (even knowing the history), but HF is his site and he can run it anyway he wants.

ok that probably makes more sense . i think i've read such posts in the past and didn't quite understand

because to me it's not like jude doesn't allow linking to other headphone forums, headwize, rockgrotto, sgheadphones etc. get linked to no worries, just wondering what the go was here

The Rock Grotto certainly does not get easily linked to on head-fi. I've had links to it I've posted deleted on several occasions. But then the trench between Jude and Mike is a little more craggy and sharp than what you get with forum competition.

I think the rule applies to the Head-fi page on facebook as well. I was on there when head-fi was down and put in a post that I'd been surviving on visiting other sites, I named head-case and rockgrotto as the sites. Checking back later I noticed that my post had vanished :doghuh:

p.s. Head-case is now my favourite audiophile website :) it seems much more relaxed and less prone to overhype than head-fi ever was :prettyprincess:

hi Duggeh! how did I know you'd be here somewhere...

The Rock Grotto certainly does not get easily linked to on head-fi. I've had links to it I've posted deleted on several occasions. But then the trench between Jude and Mike is a little more craggy and sharp than what you get with forum competition.

I think the rule applies to the Head-fi page on facebook as well. I was on there when head-fi was down and put in a post that I'd been surviving on visiting other sites, I named head-case and rockgrotto as the sites. Checking back later I noticed that my post had vanished :doghuh:

p.s. Head-case is now my favourite audiophile website :) it seems much more relaxed and less prone to overhype than head-fi ever was :prettyprincess:

how bizarre, I've linked to the rockgrotto before without issue.

No one is watching you :)

maybe i should start cursing more often and write opinionated, one-sided and unfounded posts on gear i've never heard of to grab the attention of the mods?

oh wait... there's already enough of that there =)

I've never bothered joining the OFFICIAL Head-Fi facebook page. I've been a member on the original one for ages though. Of course, for me Facebook is what it was when it was still a pretty closed academic networking system. I've done my very best to battle its MySpace transition.

I've never bothered joining the OFFICIAL Head-Fi facebook page. I've been a member on the original one for ages though. Of course, for me Facebook is what it was when it was still a pretty closed academic networking system. I've done my very best to battle its MySpace transition.

Your not missing much, facebook ain't really set-up as a forum for navigating many in-depth , diverse and long threads. Since the folk frequenting the HF facebook are resident on HF there are very, very few real posts on the facebook side.

Facebook is a tool for keeping a basic tab on gossip. And Its pretty good as a photo storage service too. I just cant stand all of the pointless stupid for 13 year old girls and people who married their cousins applications proliferation. Because despite my best efforts, I still have friends or family on Facebook who are cretinous enough or just stupid enough to spam me out with their requests that I become a MentalPetrolhead, PirateOrNinja,HowHotAmI, DateRate, StripperName, CountriesI'veVisted, InsertApplicationHereAsshat.

Groups are something that's listed in your profile, and which someone else reads, along with whatever information you put in your profile to judge you from afar. If you want to be active about something your a group member of, then there will be a proper forum for it, or better yet, you speak to such other people in real life.

Rock Grotto and iPodStudio set the precedent. After those two, it was easier to just make a rule -- no promoting of forums on head-fi that are in competition with head-fi, directly or indirectly -- and follow it with everyone. He actually does get along with a couple people here -- grawk, in particular.

It actually makes sense, from a business perspective, but certainly seems fascist the first time you're hit with it. I mean, if you were an auto insurance company, would you provide links to other auto insurance companies? Alright, yes, you would, if you were going to take on the big names, and claim that you were better than them. I mean, how much sense would it make to say, "we can beat the insurance company that cannot be named that starts with a 'G' and ends with 'EICO' by 15 cents or more"? No, if you really could beat their prices, you'd want to be able to say that you could beat their prices, and exactly whose prices it is you were beating.

Of course it makes sense..

if my Dj on Friday night was on the mic telling people to visit the other bar he works at on Thursday night I would have his balls in my hands shortly. why? cause not only is he hurting my Thursday night Business but if my customers go there and see the other Bar is a shit hole I look bad, or something happens to them there then i feel bad..etc...etc

now what if the other bars owners where Banned from my bar? holy shit..I would have my dj's future sons balls in my hand! :horsey:

whats my point?

the point is...

GOOD STUFF!!!!!

if my Dj on Friday night was on the mic telling people to visit the other bar he works at on Thursday night I would have his balls in my hands shortly. why? cause not only is he hurting my Thursday night Business but if my customers go there and see the other Bar is a shit hole I look bad, or something happens to them there then i feel bad..etc...etc

I'm not trying to bust your balls by any means. I just don't think that analogy is fair. It makes Jude look way more easy going than he actually is. This isn't some DJ talking about another bar, it's just the people in it. almost all bars have fliers for gigs that are at other bars, even bars that are in direct competition with their bar. If you were at a place where the bar tenders and owners were always busting the balls of the patrons and bands that wanted to advertise their show, you'd probably tell that fuck face to go suck a mean dick and you'd go some place else.

now what if the other bars owners where Banned from my bar? holy shit..I would have my dj's future sons balls in my hand! :horsey:

whats my point?

the point is...

GOOD STUFF!!!!!

This isn't a good analogy. I understand that Jude's "employees" can't or at least shouldn't be doing it. A better one analogy would be if one of your customers told another customer that he also liked the bar down the street and that he should check it out. Would you then tell him to shut up or throw him out for that?

I think Tyll's approach is better. He's not trying to grow or protect his piece of the pie. He's trying to grow the pie so that he gets a bigger piece. Others do too. Almost everybody here also is a member at Head-Fi. What "business" would he lose by allowing references to this forum. None that I can see. It appears to be much more of a personal thing. Personal things have no place in business.

Edit: I see that Chekhonte and I saw the error in your analogy at the same time.

Yeah i thought about the customer thing, maybe i just wanted to find a excuse to rip my dj's balls off..maybe.

SO a customer comes in handing out flyers..I say now..the customer is out...and in the end I still get to blame the dj for that customer and in return Rip his Balls off...yeah! :prettyprincess: