Devore

Spychedelic Whale

My last thread here was about the Zus which I ended up buying used, the Soul Supreme, for a nice deal and I'm ready to move up the game.. Enter the Devore.

I have been on a killing spree listening to speakers to find my next purchase and so far the only ones I liked were the Devore O/96 and Fleetwood Deville.

So.. I'm curious if any of you guys heard the O/96 and O/baby ?

The O/baby really is way cheaper than the O/96 that I loved but the store here doesn't carry them.. given that the O/baby has same new tweeter as their more expensive Reference and same woofer as the O/96 but smaller cabinet, maybe they could represent even a step up in sound or similar one.

Also if you guys think I should try some other speaker brand shoot me.

IMG_20230225_123909.jpg

IMG_20230210_182803.jpg

Edited by Spychedelic Whale
  • Like 3

I have heard both o/96 and fleetwood deville. 

If I have to compare the sound of the o/96 to your soul supreme, I would say that the Zu has a faster transient response than the o/96. Zu has bit more energy in the upper midrange. o/96 has more dynamics, more bass quantity and better quality bass. o/96 has wider sound stage than the Zu. Has that Oomph factor. Has a smoother treble and upper midrange and feels like overall more balanced across the whole frequency region. Both have quite large image size. o/96 needs bigger room to breathe and harder to set up properly than the Zu. 

Fleetwood Deville is a sweet sounding speaker, it has a more polite and gentle sound compare to the Zu, but has a wider sound stage. It lacks dynamics and bass compare to the o/96 but it has little more bass quantity than the Zu soul. It sounds lively but not as much as the Zu. This speaker is easier to place and set up compare to the o/96. o/96 needs quite a room to breathe and needs lot of distance between the front and the back wall + quite a bit of listening distance but Deville is more room friendly if you have a smaller space. You can listen for a long periods of time without a listening fatigue as it does not emphasize on the upper midrange compare to the Zu or even the o/96. Deville is the hardest speaker to drive compare to o/96 or the Zu because with either, you can pair it with single ended low watt tube amps but not the Deville. But it is still relatively easy speaker to drive compare to most speakers on the market. They will be fine with push pull tube amps.

I have not heard the o/baby but heard the o/93. If you have any questions your welcome.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jon L said:

Why does Devore O/96 sell for $16K when it's a copy of the Audio Note copy (some say pirated without paying license) of Snell type E/III?  

One should listen before judging the price tag. Apparently Audio Note An-E are more expensive than the current o/96 and I have heard a full audio note system. The o/96 are better value in terms of the sound. o/96 have better dynamics, better bass, wider stage and more life like image size. But I can see some people going for the audionote an-e if they have a limited room and can only place the speakers close to the walls. AN-e sound pretty good overall and very unique in a sense that they can sound still good while put in to a corner of the room. Tone is very natural and yet more polite sounding than the Devore.

Those all would appear to be hideously priced, and I for one am not digging the vibe. It seems that companies are just charging whatever the fuck they think they can. Good luck to them. I'll stick with my Von Schweikerts. Might have a look at the new Schitt power amps however...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/9/2023 at 3:22 PM, holytiger said:

I have heard both o/96 and fleetwood deville. 

If I have to compare the sound of the o/96 to your soul supreme, I would say that the Zu has a faster transient response than the o/96. Zu has bit more energy in the upper midrange. o/96 has more dynamics, more bass quantity and better quality bass. o/96 has wider sound stage than the Zu. Has that Oomph factor. Has a smoother treble and upper midrange and feels like overall more balanced across the whole frequency region. Both have quite large image size. o/96 needs bigger room to breathe and harder to set up properly than the Zu. 

Fleetwood Deville is a sweet sounding speaker, it has a more polite and gentle sound compare to the Zu, but has a wider sound stage. It lacks dynamics and bass compare to the o/96 but it has little more bass quantity than the Zu soul. It sounds lively but not as much as the Zu. This speaker is easier to place and set up compare to the o/96. o/96 needs quite a room to breathe and needs lot of distance between the front and the back wall + quite a bit of listening distance but Deville is more room friendly if you have a smaller space. You can listen for a long periods of time without a listening fatigue as it does not emphasize on the upper midrange compare to the Zu or even the o/96. Deville is the hardest speaker to drive compare to o/96 or the Zu because with either, you can pair it with single ended low watt tube amps but not the Deville. But it is still relatively easy speaker to drive compare to most speakers on the market. They will be fine with push pull tube amps.

I have not heard the o/baby but heard the o/93. If you have any questions your welcome.

I actually don't feel the Zu to be that fast honestly, I'm not sure if its the duelund capacitor upgrade that it has, but I found all the klipsch Heritage line and Devore to be way faster and snappy. What makes me want to upgrade from the Zu is specially the Midrange which is honestly lacking.. not big or meaty, kinda ghostly and..that super tweeter is super fatiguing. 

How does the O/93 compare with O/96, exactly same type of sound but less bass ? I like to listen not too far away from the speakers, it gives me more imersion and better detail preception, maybe an habit from many years of listening to headphones. Devore doesnt sound good if I would sit like 2.5-3m away?

On 3/9/2023 at 7:47 PM, Jon L said:

Why does Devore O/96 sell for $16K when it's a copy of the Audio Note copy (some say pirated without paying license) of Snell type E/III?  

Well I actually heard to the audionotes in the same session as the Devore, and honestly the sound is very different. The dealer said sound is similar but not really.. Devore is way more musical , more richer tone, snappier and romantic.

On 3/9/2023 at 8:38 PM, swt61 said:

The Fleetwood Deville is garnering some really good press, and the SQ version even more so. 

They're on my list to audition at some point. Very attractive as well.

Yeah not gonna lie they are very wood inducing. Love the looks.

On 3/9/2023 at 11:45 PM, holytiger said:

One should listen before judging the price tag. Apparently Audio Note An-E are more expensive than the current o/96 and I have heard a full audio note system. The o/96 are better value in terms of the sound. o/96 have better dynamics, better bass, wider stage and more life like image size. But I can see some people going for the audionote an-e if they have a limited room and can only place the speakers close to the walls. AN-e sound pretty good overall and very unique in a sense that they can sound still good while put in to a corner of the room. Tone is very natural and yet more polite sounding than the Devore.

Yeah will have to agree.

On 3/10/2023 at 2:32 AM, Pars said:

Those all would appear to be hideously priced, and I for one am not digging the vibe. It seems that companies are just charging whatever the fuck they think they can. Good luck to them. I'll stick with my Von Schweikerts. Might have a look at the new Schitt power amps however...

Yeah.. this is very true.. To add to this, I heard the Qacoustics concept 50 last week with a good VTL front end, probably more expensive than the 2k Qacoustics, and I must say I got a slap in the face.. honestly it kinda did everything right.. from detail to soundstage width and depth and big meaty mids , only the bass was a bit Boxy at higher vol. Still better technicalities than Deville.

For this reason I'm still looking for what's there, and trying weirder brands but the devore has something very special that is trying to bypass my brain.

Edited by Spychedelic Whale