Wadia's digital iTransport (digital out from the iPod)

deepak

http://gizmodo.com/340518/itransport-is-worlds-first-purely-digital-ipod-dock

Just announced for CES, Wadia Digital's iTransport claims a major feat: to be the first iPod dock on the market to pull content from both iPods and iPhones in pure digital format, bypassing the iPods' internal digital to analog conversion and subsequent audio/video loss. The iTransport claims this not only makes the device an exellent iPod dock, but a digital home media server capable of pulling audio and video from every model iDevice in Apple's product line (and even for $349, that sounds pretty cool). Slated for a February release, we'll give you an ears-on at CES.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you are all missing the point, which is that this product is completely worthless.

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=3139958&postcount=20

Ahem, hate to be a stinker, but I don't see the point.

If its still an at home source, you're better off saving yourself $750 (iPod + iTransport) and just running a DAC straight from your computer, where you can store terabytes and terabytes of lossless files.

What benefit does the iTransport + iPod offer over computer-as-source?

It's useful if you already have an ipod, and your computer can't conveniently be put near your stereo. Especially if it turns out to sound good.

Not just that, but fan noise is killing me with my HTPC, and I have neither the patience or the money to throw at it to get it quiet enough right now. The acoustics in my new place make my HTPC seem louder where I sit with my headphone rig than itis when I'm 10' away on the couch. And this is with a HTPC case with a fairly quiet PS fan. Fan noise is a huge issue for me with respect to going computer-as-source, and this would certainly be a way around that.

Not just that, but fan noise is killing me with my HTPC, and I have neither the patience or the money to throw at it to get it quiet enough right now. The acoustics in my new place make my HTPC seem louder where I sit with my headphone rig than itis when I'm 10' away on the couch. And this is with a HTPC case with a fairly quiet PS fan. Fan noise is a huge issue for me with respect to going computer-as-source, and this would certainly be a way around that.

My way around THAT was mac mini :)

I wonder, just wonder, if Wadia isn't using their existing tech that creates a digital signal from an analog source here. The previous product was called the Wadia 17 IIRC.

The press release says it bypasses the iPod DAC, so it would have to be all-digital if they are to be believed.

My first impression is that Wadia just put a computer inside a box, plays back the iPod files through the mass storage interface, and uses some secret Apple NDA kung-fu jazz hands to make the iPod UI still work with a USB interface, and has a special license to internally decode FairPlay.

I'd figure that there isn't any sort of SPDIF interface coming out of the iPod, nor is there a USB sound interface, so they are improvising using the only well-known digitial interface: USB Mass Storage. Otherwise, perhaps they hacked in and discovered a USB sound interface, and got the OK from Apple to sell it?

This sort of makes sense.

I mean there is USB transfer taking place from the line-out right (when you dock and transfer music)? Wadia would just have to decode that USB data to a digital signal...

Agreed. And after closer inspection, it looks like they have to modify the iPod, too.

Plus, the price is killer. Wadia for $349 or MSB for US$2K? I'm a MSB fanboy, but even I'd go after the Wadia first.

I'm sure the MSB actually modifies hardware: taps the digital line going to the DAC, and brings that out for play time. Something seems odd with the Wadia. I guess the mass storage thing is plausible...

I don't know, looks like it's good for a work source. I'd love to get better sound out of my iPod and run it to an OPUS DAC/CKKIII balanced amp combo and just rock out with the HD600 at work. If it features a SPDIF out on the back I'm all over it. Does it have an internal DAC or just offers a digital out?